THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Butternut Squash Lasagna with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butternut Squash Lasagna with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Butternut Squash Lasagna with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts

~ Love this recipe! This was the first lasagna I have ever made from “scratch” and I always cook two so that I can have some in the freezer all the time. You can make the squash mix the night prior and I always make two lasagnas, one for now and one to freeze uncooked for later. Great for Meatless Monday ☺

1 Medium Butternut Squash (About 2 lbs)
2 t Olive Oil, Divided
3 Medium Yellow Onions, Thinly Sliced
1 C Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese
1/8 t Ground Nutmeg
4 Large Egg Whites
¼ C grated Parmesan Cheese
10 Sage Leaves, Finely Chopped
1 T Minced Garlic
1/8 t Sea Salt
¼ t Black Pepper
2 C Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
2 ½ C Marinara Sauce (I Like Newman’s Own Cabernet Marinara)
12 Whole-Wheat Lasagna Noodles
1/3 C Coarsely Chopped Walnuts, Toasted

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Lightly brush cut sides with 1 tsp oil and place, cut-sides-down, onto a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, until squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high. Add onions, stir and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until onions begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook for about 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside until cooled to room temperature.

Scoop out flesh of squash into the bowl of a food processor. Add ricotta, nutmeg, egg whites and Parmesan and process until smooth. Add sage, minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and gently fold in caramelized onions.

Reserve ½ C mozzarella, cover and refrigerate until needed.

Assemble lasagna: Cover bottom of 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with about ½ marinara sauce. Top with a single layer of 3 lasagna noodles, overlapping slightly, then 1 C butternut squash mixture and ½ C mozzarella. Repeat layers once, starting with ½ C marinara sauce. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over mozzarella. Repeat layers once again. Finish with ½ C marinara sauce, a layer of noodles, remaining butternut squash (about 1/3 cup, depending on size of squash) and remaining ½ C marinara sauce.

Cover dish with foil, place onto a baking tray and bake in oven for 45 minutes at 375°F. Remove foil, top lasagna with reserved ½ C mozzarella and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove lasagna from oven and allow to rest and set for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into 12 servings.

Nutrients per 1½-cup serving: Calories: 260, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 34 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 14 g, Sodium: 250 mg, Cholesterol: 20 mg

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote