Find
Notify
Tools

Make your own hot sauce
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Already have the fermenter from Farmsteady, thanks to friend Tas. This looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...06&mc_eid=2a4bbb0718

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill - I got this same email this morning...intend to try it soon!

I cannot stand any peppers that are green, so I'll see if I can get a mix of red, yellow and orange ones...and plenty of garlic! Mine will probably be on the mild side, as The Beautiful Mrs. Tas and hot-hot-hot sauce do not mix. Frank's Original is pretty much her limit, and that's pushing it.

PS - did you see the Tepache video? Another one to try!

Ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tas, no, I will look for it. I am not a super hot guy either. I use a lot of Tabasco Jalapeño and Tapatio Salsa Picanté -- and Secret Aardvark back in Oregon.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tas, no, I will look for it.

https://farmsteady.com/field-guide/recipe-tepache

tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,I have been making my own salsa for years. I used to compete in the Austin Hot Sauce Festival every year.I grew all my own veggies. (I grow great tomatoes here) but I got pissed after a few years of losing to some canuck that was using canned goods.I don't garden much anymore but when I did + canned my hot sauce,Christmas was done in advance.I would use jalapenos,tomatoes,onions,garlic,+ cilantro.I never measured anything, I just did it until it looked right. I am much more rigid on exact measurements when I'm putting up my Peach preserves. Canning is a lot of fun.BTW,all my trees in the orchard blossomed out even after the freeze. If I can keep one step ahead of the deer + make a batch,I'll send you a pint.Also if I decide to do up another batch of salsa,I'll send you one as well.Best,Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, you are much too generous. Thank you.
My tomatoes here were a disaster last year, even with amended soils. Even planting the so-called virus-resistant strains, they sickened and died. I had been warned about this. The peppers did fine, as did the basil.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My tomatoes do well here because the soil is so alkaline;I also till in chicken + horse manure + compost my own . That being said,I can not do good melons as the soil is not sandy enough.Lets see what this new year will bring. I am rapidly approaching retirement age + might get to spend more time in the garden.I still use my Troy-Bilt tiller that I bought over 40 years ago.The 1st year they offered a 7 HP Kohler cast w/a PTO. Great machine.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All pepers good are green! Have you lost your mind? rotflmo

Jalapeanos, New Mexico green chili, chili Pequin, Serranos, these are the only peppers, that other stuff is ca ca poo poo. unless you let the above ripen, but why?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch of chili pequin peppers growing wild up here.I got the starter plants from an old man that got his working on a road crew for the WPA project in the 30's.He just pulled some up,put them in his rucksack + planted them when he got home. Did the same for me,just yanked them up. I planted them + they have always come back + spread. I use them in an old tabasco bottle filled w/ vinegar.Great on greens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pequins are a great chili, I drop a half a hand full in my pinto beans along with some beef bullion, cilantro, garlic, salt pork, fresh garlic smashed, a dash of oil, dash of red chili powder salt and pepper,and the kitchen sink and plenty of water, and stick them on the pressure cookier for 40 minutes as opposed to an all day simmer..no measure, it just comes natural to me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, chili pequins were all over the place. I can't find any anymore. Been wanting to start some plants here in Houston. Any thoughts on where to get seeds?

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,when my plants start seeding out I'd be glad to send you a bunch.will be a few months yet as they mature in the fall.Some folks say that they need to pass through a bird to germinate. I don't believe that. P.M. me an address + when they seed out I'll send you a bunch.