THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Quick venison backstrap corned beef.

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick venison backstrap corned beef.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I didn't write anything down. Here's what I remember.
Grab your frozen 2 pound whole loin and put it in the pressure cooker. I used my Instant Pot.
Add enough spring water to cover and toss in 5-6 large bay leaves, a tablespoon of coriander, a few whole cloves, about a tablespoon and a half of mustard seed, a quarter cup of Morton Tender Quick, a tablespoon of whole white pepper corns, a dash of ground celery seed, a few ounces of liquid smoke and a pinch of sugar. No need to soak to cure. Plug in the PC and push the pressure cook button and the roast/stew button and increase the time to 44 minutes. Affix the lid and make sure the pressure lever is on closed. Turn the KEEP WARM off.
When the cycle is completed and the pressure released, put the meat on a platter to cool.

Take 2 large potatoes and dice them small to about the size of your pinky finger nail. Cook for 10-12 minutes in salted water until they are soft and drain them in a collander.

Slice the meat across the grain every half inch then crumble into a SS bowl. Add the cooled potatoes, a half table spoon of smoked paprika, a half teaspoon of granulated garlic, one big egg and some coarse ground black pepper. Fold the mix over and cut through it with a spatula several times until combined.
Delicious. Who needs to brine this stuff for days?

I'll try and add a photo tomorrow.
Peace.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Camera battery was totally dead. But, the corned venison was excellent.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shame,
chicken fried backstrap is the cowboys religion, piled high with peco de gallo, pinto beans, biscuits and white gravy or flour tortillas optiional..Its the law! with permission you can add fried Ochre and mashed potatoes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounds OK. I'm just not into that stuff. I usually roast the backstraps whole with some sweet red wine and other stuff or slice 'em and fry 'em in butter with S&P. Being fan of corned beef, I just wanted to experiment with something new with less chemical taste than store or restaurant stuff. Eat good.

quote:
Originally posted byAtkinson:
Shame,
chicken fried backstrap is the cowboys religion, piled high with peco de gallo, pinto beans, biscuits and white gravy or flour tortillas optiional..Its the law! with permission you can add fried Ochre and mashed potatoes..

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, I fed my boy's beaucoup of chicken fried venison backstrap as well as chicken fried round steak cut into strips with mashed potatoes + cream gravy. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Me too, Randy!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'll make sure and try some CF 'strap next time. Thanks gents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll never go back! Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'd skip the white gravy for sure. It isn't good gravy unless it's brown gravy or chicken gravy made with real chicken drippings or unadulterated chicken stock concentrate like this stuff.

no BS ingredients

You will become hooked on it. We use it for gravies and sauces on beef, pork, turkey and chicken.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a great number of our tastes are due to what we were raised eating + there are vast differences across the country. Even the difference in the flavors of iced tea. I have friends from New England that preferred iced coffee over sweet tea. To each his own.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I still crave from my days back at home are frizzled Seltzer's Lebanon sweet beef baloney (bologna), sweet wild meadow tea (hot with 50% cream) or cold and the fatty smoked hams from the local grocery store.

Good point on vast differences. Some out of state local favorites are Memphis hot fried chicken, Maryland style crabcakes, Tex Mex style Mexican food, etc.
Some are not so hot like White Castle slider burgers from Ohio, super sweet tea from the South, white mayo sauce over fried chicken, Carolina BBQ sauce that tastes like tobacco, Western rocky mountain oysters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some poor folks just had no proper up bringing and ate bland food and brown bread! jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the real side I love eating in locales that eat food Ive never heard of, Indian restaurants in Dar es Salaam, seafood thruout the salt water world, and on and on..It adds to the enjoyment of travel experiences..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hah. Actually, you're right Ray. Most food at home was under seasoned and bland. No Hatch chilis, no hot sauce +Dad always cooked the round steak to death and garlic was not allowed in the house.
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Yeah, some poor folks just had no proper up bringing and ate bland food and brown bread! jumping