New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swan
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I put in for a Tundra Swan permit here in Virginia. Since I insist on eating what I shoot, I need to come up with a way to use the meat. I've looked online, but there is very little info floating around.

So, does anyone here have any ideas for putting one on the table? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It it is a young bird, simple pluck it and roast it. Rub the bird with about 3 tablespoons of oil, then sprinkle on about a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper. I like to stuff the cavity with onion, apple and celery.

Put in a roasting pan with about 1 inch of water. Roast at 325 degrees until the juices run clear when poked or a meat thermometer registers 185 degrees. (You can find this recipe in Coastal Carolina Cooking by Nancy Davis and Kathy Hart. The recipe comes from Jeanie Williams from Manteo).

If it is an older bird, simply breast it out and cook it like you would a goose breast. Try marinating it in Italian dressing or using it in a gumbo.

Good luck...I shot one a few years back on Bodie Island NC....a young bird and quite tasty.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
How about going for the old medieval recipe that I read about at school where (if I remember correctly) they stuffed a woodcock into a pigeon into a partridge into a duck into a pheasant into chicken into a goose into the swan?

Then invite ALL your friends & neighbours over to join you for dinner! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you forgot that your stuffed the wood cock with sausage first right sofa animal a little bitty sausage jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yuk...... the mind boggles.

Thinkin' about it though, I seem to now remember a snipe went into the woodcock. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
school boys will be school boys shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote