Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage Rolls--tasty!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted
Easy recipe I stole from the TV show Diners, Driveins, and Dives: Make biscuit dough using a little more that 1 cup Bisquick and milk. Knead, then rollout to about 1/4" thick. Brush with olive oil, then spread with pesto. Spread crumbled up cooked breakfast sausage(1/2 lb) on pesto, then spread grated mozzarella cheese on sausage layer. roll up into cylinder, then slice (with oiled knife) into 1 1/2" thick slices, sprinkle with olive oil and grated parmesan, then bake at 350 deg for about 25 min on non stick pan. Top with marinara sauce, or your choice of sauce. I added chopped onion to the sausage while browning, and some Old Bay to spice it up. Wifey gave it 4 stars. Probably would work with ground venison, with some chopped bacon added for fat, too.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's pesto?

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Pesto is basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, and olive oil ground up. You probably could fake it for this recipe with fresh basil leaves, garlic salt, and olive oil spread on the rolled out dough. I think this would also be great using pizza dough rolled out instead of bisquick.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Making a copy of the recipe now.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pesto is a condiment originally from Genova.Primarily made from basil where the worlds best basil comes from .That IS a different type.Used on pasta dishes especially. It is available commercially.

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Found out there's pizza dough in a tube, now in the stores. Made this with leftover thin sliced meat loaf, pesto, and swiss cheese. Still good! Pizza dough needs lots of olive oil not to stick in the baking pan.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have learned that sausage rolls have a whole new meaning down here. Fortunately my wife was wise enough to throw a couple of large packs of Bolner's Fiesta pan sausage mix in the container to we can make what is traditional US breakfast sausage. I need to try your recipe.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I have learned that sausage rolls have a whole new meaning down here. Fortunately my wife was wise enough to throw a couple of large packs of Bolner's Fiesta pan sausage mix in the container so we can make what is traditional US breakfast sausage. I need to try your recipe.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Southern Biscuits with chorizo sausage, instead of breakfast sausage, and a few jalepenos would be interesting. Thanks for the idea!