THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Oysters Rockefeller recipe like Antoine's?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oysters Rockefeller recipe like Antoine's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Does anyone have the secret recipe for the oysters rockefeller they serve at Antoine's in New Orleans? It's been a secret forever and I can't find a suitable substitute any where!

Having serious cravings for it and not planning on going to New Orleans anytime soon.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELLO THE CAMPFIRE:
I think that I hae tht Recipe, but it will take a few days to find it. Basicaly it is spinach with parason cheese, garlic and wooster sauce. Maybe some bread or cracker crumbs, baked in a hot oven until the gills turn up. If you have access to an old Herter's Bullcook Book, I am pretty sure they have the recipe and the history (sort of) behind it. It is one of my favorites and I don' eat it any where but N.O.LA. because I have had so many bad copies.
Good luck\
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge:

Thanks for the reply. If you do find the recipe, please send it along! I've tried a number of recipes that I've found online, but none of them came close to the original. Also, at other restaurants, it is basically creamed spinache on oysters.

Oysters a la Rockefeller at Antoine's is pure heaven!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NE,i live in NO,somewhere have receipe,can get Galatoires if not. do you live where you can get fresh oysters? thats a huge part of it. a few Sazeracs before helps a lot also. can get loading data for that too.BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NE, Antoines Restaurant Cookbook by Roy Guste&Jr. "Huitres a la Rockefeller" whole menu is in there w. receipes. no food secrets in this city. if i have a copy ill scan it to you.bon appetit! kim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim:

I live outside of Wash DC. We can get fresh oysters - usually from Long Island - here at the gourmet stores.

I've tried a number of recipes for the Rockefeller sauce, but none come close to what they serve at Antoine's.

I thought that oyster's rockefeller was one recipe that they left out of their cookbook?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim:

If I lived in NO, I would be 1000 lbs. I can hear myself getting fatter just thinking about cafe du mond, po-boys, commander's palace's bread pudding, bananas foster....

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NE,dont have antoines cookbook,do have Times-Picayune& it has OR,infamousHerterbullcook recipes also has antoines&galatoires recipes. scanner is fried,e-m me your address & ill copy these to you& any others u want.Kimroux7@wmconnect.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim:

Email sent. A hearty THANK YOU!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post the recipe here when you get it? I've been to Antoines a couple of times and their food is great, especially the Oyster R. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cjw:

It would be my pleasure. I have to agree with you on the Oysters Rockefeller. No one comes close to it. I have to admit it sure ain't pretty to look at, but my god is it in a league of its own!

Did you ever they their Baked Alaska?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, 577NitroExpress, I've never had Baked Alaska. I imagine their's is the best also? When we have a "special" dessert at home it's usually Bananas Foster.

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Antoine's Oysters Rockefeller - Original

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER
3 doz shelled raw oysters in their liquor
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon, juiced

SAUCE
1/2 stick butter
4 tablespoon flour
2 bunches parsley, all stems removed, finely minced
2 bunches green onions, finely minced
8 ribs celery, all strings removed, finely minced
4 tablespoon tomato paste
1-1.2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup bread crumbs

6 small ovenproof baking dishes

Prepare the oysters:
Poach the oysters in their own liquor with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and the juice from 1 lemon for 1 minute or just until their edges barely begin to curl. Do not boil. Strain the oysters, reserving 1 cup of their liquid, and set aside.

Make the Rockefeller Sauce:
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes without coloring. Blend in the 1 cup reserved oyster poaching liquid. Blend in the minced parsley, green onion and celery. Add the tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne. Simmer very, very slowly for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and adjust seasonings according to taste.

Assemble the dish:
Arrange the oysters in individual oven proof dishes, 6 oysters per serving, and spoon over the Rockefeller Sauce. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and beginning to brown. Serves 6.

NOTE:
It is the utmost importance if you want the sauce to turn out correctly that must insure that you scrape all the strings from the celery stalks. If you don't, you will never get the proper texture. There will always be stringy bits in the sauce no matter how finely you chop. Remove all stems from the parsley or you will get a bitterness that you will not be able to eliminate. When I say to simmer very, very slowly, I mean it. Some of the best chefs in New Orleans scorch this sauce regularly because it takes a long time on a low fire with regular stirring and a good cover on the pot. Don't let it blop and bubble. Don't try to rush it. Absolutely all of the raw green taste of the vegetables needs to be cooked out in order for the sauce to acquire the rich and marvelous taste for which it is so justly famous. This is one of the reasons that this sauce is so difficult to prepare properly.

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynn:

Thank you so much. I know the rockefeller sauce has been kept a secret for a long time. Have you tried this particular recipe? Is it close to the original?

(I always thought that an anise flavor liquor such as pernod was an ingredient?)

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prepare the oysters:
Poach the oysters in their own liquor with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and the juice from 1 lemon for 1 minute or just until their edges barely begin to curl. Do not boil. Strain the oysters, reserving 1 cup of their liquid, and set aside.

Lynn: Do you add any water to this step, or is it only the oyster liquor, salt and lemon juice?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NE,i believe OR@antoines has some garlic&some kind of licorice,Pernod,Herbsaint,etc now. still working on it. BEST,kim

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:
Prepare the oysters:

Lynn: Do you add any water to this step, or is it only the oyster liquor, salt and lemon juice?

To answer your question, yes I tried it and it was fantastic, and no I did not add any water at all. It is actually the recipe given to a New York Times Gastronomic Reviewer (food critic) and is the reported to be the original recipe. The original had no liquer in it and no spinach which is sometimes also reported to be in the recipe. Though there are those who do use a Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur and swear that it was present in the original recipe.

Lynn

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim:

Your copies came today. Thank you VERY much!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NE, try them all,let me know which is best.well try it down here.BEST,kim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twist my arm ;-)

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I had some great Oyster's Rockefeller at Peg Leg Pete's down on the gulf in Pensacola, FL over the weekend. They were fantastic, but I don't know the recipe.

We're heading to N.O. LA tomorrow for the weekend. I'll keep this place in mind and see what they have down there.

Email sent for the recipe copy as well Kim. Thanks.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEN,call me b4 u leave or when u get here,this is a crazy weekend here,BEST.kim 504-888-1008

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty hard to go to almost any restaurant in New Orleans and get a bad meal. The whole society revolves around alcohol and food. Personally, I think Galatoire's is way better than Antoine's but "chac un a son gout".

NY, LA. and San Francisco are the other 3 big US cities that have great food, but they require a bit more diligence. I'd kill for some of the dim sum I've had in LA right now.

We just returned from a few days of family surf fishing in Grand Isle, which is the end of the road about 3 hours or so from NO, for those who don't know the area. Fishing was poor, but the fresh shrimp and oysters that we had were wonderful. I've eaten oysters all my life, could easily buy a Cadillac or two (don't want to think about it) with what I've spent on them, and in my experience summer oysters from the Gulf are usually of poorer quality, but I ran into this lady oyster seller in Grand Isle who told me that now was the best time for HER oysters. I didn't believe it, but bought a half gallon of fresh shucked to try them (didn't have the set up or time to crack them ourselves) and by God she was right. They were firm and fairly salty. Brought a gallon (about 200) back with us. That was 3 days ago, they're nearly all gone. Our kid's ages 11,10, and 6 came in from fishing in Grand Isle and had a choice of bacon and eggs or raw oysters for breakfast. They all chose oysters. Must be genetic. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Just remember that Texas oyster are the best!

http://www.texasoysters.org/about.html

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember that Texas oyster are the best

Not in my experience, which is not very limited. Certainly they can be very good if all the oyster gods smile on the harvester, but "the best", naaah, not even close. Nor are any other Gulf of Mexico oysters "the best". It takes cold and clear water to create what most people consider to be "the best". Hard to say, but I'd say that for my tastes some of the best I ever had were Belons in Paris, but it could have been the atmosphere (that is the girl) adding to the flavor. Small, salty, incredibly flavorful. Some of the W Coast oysters, including imported Belons, are extremely good as well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the CAmpfire:
I am glad the the recipe got posted.
It seems that there are no real oyster eaters on the forum. If there were you would know that the best come from Indian Pass in Panama City Fla. followed closely by Appalacola Bay oysters. The famed Bon Secure oysters from Mobile Bay are about dead due to polution and the storms last year. DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO MAKE OYSTER ROCKEFELLERS WITHOUT GULF COAST OYSTERS, if you do you might have to put an anise flavor to make them tast right.
If you have a chance, go to the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station where you can sample more than a hundred kinds of fresh oysters.
But none will be as good a ones right out of the water, on the dock with a Jax or a Pearl Pop with the foam on top ( or another beer now that Pearl is gone). Late night, good friends, maybe some blue crabs, mullet jumping, a gater sounding off. Why live anywhere else. Just to make a living I guess.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Just remember that Texas oyster are the best

Not in my experience, which is not very limited. Certainly they can be very good if all the oyster gods smile on the harvester, but "the best", naaah, not even close. Nor are any other Gulf of Mexico oysters "the best". It takes cold and clear water to create what most people consider to be "the best". Hard to say, but I'd say that for my tastes some of the best I ever had were Belons in Paris, but it could have been the atmosphere (that is the girl) adding to the flavor. Small, salty, incredibly flavorful. Some of the W Coast oysters, including imported Belons, are extremely good as well.

The oysters there come from Cancale on the Brittany coast. One can go there,sit at small bar and have 24 for the price of 6 in Paris. The local wine is great,bread still warm,and the fresh butter to die for. Got there at 1400
passing through. Spent the night. You can see Mont-St-Michle from the bar. The tides clean the oysters 5-6 tines per day.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now there's a man who knows what good oyster eating is all about.

beer

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Big Grin beer

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i was supposed to send any of y'all copies of O/R,please be patient.KATRINA has moved me 200 miles N. dont know if copies or books survived. BIG MESS!!whenever i get back& come up for air,ill try to get them out. thanks.kim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim,

Good luck and hope all is well!!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once worked at a fancy seafood restuarant during highschool,and remember tasting oysters Rockefeller.That was something super delicious.They were oysters with a red powdered topping if I remember correctly.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote