New
Find
Notify
Tools

very good trout on the grill
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
today i prepared some rainbow trout on the grill that turned out really well. here's how it went:

4 good-sized stream trout (about 12 inches each)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. lime juice
4 cloves garlic (about 2 tsp. minced)
about 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (maybe 1Tbsp. if using dry)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
the recipe called for using only lemon juice, but i ran out and used 1/2 lemon, 1/2 lime.

anyway, i mixed all of the marinade ingredients and dumped them into a baking dish. i brushed the fish well inside and out, then turned the fish over to coat on both sides and refrigerated for about two hours, turning now and then.

i fired up the grill, kept it at a medium-high temperature (maybe a little over 400 degrees?) and threw in some woodchips in a smoke box (today i used the jack-daniels-soaked wood chips with outstanding results).

after the smoke got going good, i threw the trout straight on the well-sprayed grill (i used olive oil PAM, but any cooking oil would work, i am sure), and grilled the trout for a total of about 12-15 minutes, turning once. i knew the trout was done when i could stick a fork into the thickest part of the back near the dorsal fins and the meat flaked when i twisted the fork.

GREAT stuff!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote