Find
Notify
Tools

Fried Eggplant
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Went to the effort to type it somewhere esls so might as well get some mileage out of it!

Start with a nice FIRM shiny eggplant

Slice a medium sized (3-5 "diameterX8-10" long) into slices about 5/16" thick.
crosswise or lengthwise is fine, kinda based on what fits in the skillet (one of 3 reasons for owning an electric skillet in my mind)

Lightly salt each slice and stack back in order to rebuild the eggplant (let this set about 30 minutes to an hour). Nice to do, but not a Havta do thing
Some cut off the skin, I never do

Crush, grind or do what ya have to make a couple cups of cracker crumbs while the eggplant is draining. I do them a box at a time in the food processor and save them in ziplock stored in the freezer.

Beat two eggs and about 1/2 cup of milk in a flat open container. Whatever ya have to make it easy to dip the eggplant slices.

Preheat the electric skillet to 325 degrees (each skillet may vary to get eggplant done and brown at the same time).

Place the cracker crumbs in an open container between the egg and the skillet,

Dip the eggplant in the egg mixture then coat lightly with cracker crumbs (Yes, flour will work, but it NOT near as good).

Place in the lightly oiled (EVOO or Canola) skillet. Turn when browned good and one will likely have to add more oil at this time. When thoroughly browned and done set on a paper towel to absorb as much oil as possible (placing them in warm oven will help). Yes, there is quite a bit of fat, but no meat is needed and EVOO is actually supposed to be good for you.

Marinara sauce, Parmesan (Romano will work too) cheese and some Mozzarella layered in a dish and baked will make a fine main course.

Or use the fried eggplant as a main course and serve steamed green veggies (don't really need the veggies if one uses the salad as the vegetable) with a cucumber salad

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or use it for compost in the garden, or feed it to the next lesbian you see....they looove eggplant, or use it for target practice, or feed it to someone you hate..........eggplant ptooey-yuk-ug- I hate that damn stuff!!!!!!!!!

Honestly life is too damned short to eat eggplant

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't pay attention to calgarychef ! Lightly brush the eggplant with oil and grill or broil....Make ratatouille provencal - onion, garlic, eggplant,zucchini, pepper, tomato....It's also known as melanzana or aubergene.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef,

Understand you are not wild about eggplant and I don't like purple motorcycles.....where do you stand on spagetti squash?? Don't hold back now!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys, thanks for the grins... I stumbled onto this, and enjoyed a hearty laugh!

And as for me personally, please pass the eggplant...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually really like spagetti squash!! Nice with some butter and grana padana parmesan. BUT yuo can't really expect anyone to actually eat eggplant.....F**** I'd rather eat my week old cheesy underwear. Roll Eyes

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who don't know, eggplant gets it's name from one type that has the same size and shape of an egg and is white.Size - bigger is not better,the seeds contain a chemical that is bitter so the very large eggplants have bigger seeds and therefore are more bitter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1/2 cup of milk

________

TC,
Try buttermilk instead and let'em soak in it a while.
DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an incrediable stroke of genius (subject to interpretation) last night while deep frying cat fish and shrimp. I was going to fry some eggplant in the usual way (floured in a pan) to go with the fish, when it struck me...why not use the Zatarain's Fish-Fri that I was using for the cat fish on the eggplant?

I skinned and cut the eggplant into 1/2" cubes, threw them in a bowl with the milk and egg mixture I was using for the cat fish and then put them in a brown paper bag with the Fish-Fri and shook it up a bit. I pulled out handfuls of Fish-Fri coated egg plant and put it in the deep fryer with peanut oil at about 350 degrees till golden brown, drained on a paper towel and sprinkled with Morton Hot Salt.......DAMN!!! it was good!! Much better than week old cheesy underware!! Next time I'm gunna try it on green tomatoes and maybe tatters or squash too and see how that works.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Breaded veggies are good you're right about the tomatoes etc. I really like a parmesan breading esp on zuccini, or tomatoes.

I also would venture a bet that little cubes of styrofoam might be a lot better than the eggplant!!!!! You should give em a try. Smiler

Are you sure you aren't a lesbian? They really dig eggplant. I must admit for awhile I was sure I was a lesbian then my dad said all guys felt like I did--boy was I glad about that!!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never gave it a lot of thought 'till you asked...maybe I am a lesbian...afterall, I do eat at the Y.....from time to time.

Once dated a nurse with large mellons who liked eggplant and her roommate liked bananas, but neither would turn down a hot dog when offered.

Not sure about the styrofoam, but it warrants some thought and consideration....maybe pan fried in olive oil, garlic and onions with marinara and a sprinkle of shreaded parmesan. Is that the way they do it in your neighborhood?

The year of the .30-06!!