New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAMN, I'm leaving this site
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm waiting to undergo a colonoscopy at 3 and have not eaten anything solid for 36 hrs. I enjoy cooking so though I'd spend some time here while awaiting the pooptube. Man, was that a dumb move, my stomach must think my throat's been cut!

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Hope it comes out all right.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it did. First meal after 40 + hrs: my own cabbage rolls.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If you walk out of there with a smile on your face avoid certain neighborhoods.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cossack2:
Thanks, it did. First meal after 40 + hrs: my own cabbage rolls.

Cossack2, hope everything is OK...

Care to share your cabbage roll recipe? My ex was Yugoslav with a German mother, and her cabbage rolls were to die for!!!

I sure as hell don't miss my ex, but I do miss her cabbage rolls, chicken soup, and rabbit recipes!!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey there.I LOVE cabbage rolls!!!!!!!!
My mother's are/were wonderful. I have her recipe (Roumanian) somewhere, and will provide if wanted. Also, I have a good recipe from Jenny Grossinger's (Grossinger's Resort/Catskills) cookbook.....can send also. E-mail me for any requests.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Care to share your cabbage roll recipe? My ex was Yugoslav with a German mother, and her cabbage rolls were to die for!!!

I cook 2-2 1/2 cups of white rice (not quick cooking kind), let cool overnight.
Place in large mixing bowl.
Add:
Chop up and fry one large onion so some is browned
1 lb raw ground meat (beef,deer, whatever).
1 lb raw mild breakfast sausage
1 T black pepper
1 T Cavender's Greek Seasoning
Salt to taste

Mix together well by hand (lierally)

Take 2 heads of large cabbage. Place one at a time into large pot of boiling water until you can pry outside leaves off without breaking (don't overcook as leaves will then fall apart). Cut leaves from stem. You will have to do this several times as only the outside leaves cook. I stick a large serving fork into core of stalk to make handing the hot caggage easier. Keep this up until both cabbages are cooked/deleafed.
With a knife, pare the thick vein in the middle of leaf until it is (about) as thick as rest of surrounding leaf. The very big leaves divide in half from top to bottom.
Take large covered roaster, place scrap leaves (OR sourkrout)on bottom of roaster. Using one leaf at a time, place generous tablespoon full of rice/meat mixture on the inside edge of thickest part of leaf (imagine your hand being the leaf and you're putting mixture on heel of hand). Roll up and tuck in the ends by pushing them into the roll with your finger.
Place rolls into roaster, one close to the other until the roaster is full. Do a second layer if necessary keeping the rolls close togerther starting in the middle. Cover with left over leaves. Put top on roaster and bake for at least 2 hrs at 250. Remore cover and bake for 1/2 hr longer. I've even baked them overnite at 200...but the delicious smell usually wakes me quite early. I serve with wild mushroom gravy, or turkey or pork cutlets in gravy with onion.
BTW, the cooked cabbage from top of rolls tastes great. You can even use the left over cabbage that wasn't used for rolls. Fry well with diced onions, combine with sliced cooked deer sausage, and caraway seeds, partially cooked noodles and bake for 45 min at 350. I call it SQUEEL hotdish; use everything including the squeel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woohoo!!

I mow have two recipes I can play around with!

Thanks for that!!

Now all I need is to take some time out to do it. Cool

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
What, no sauce?? The recipe I use, from my Lithuanian Grandma, needs the rolls to be covered with tomato sauce-I use V-8 juice, with a shot of Worchestershire sauce, and two shakes of Tobasco-sort of a Bloody Mary without the vodka.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The no-sauce, I thought, was an ethnic thing (Ukranian)because my Mom made them that way. Turns out her sister made hers with the tomato sauce.
Just talked to my daughter and she is baking a batch she made with ground turkey meat and brown rice as we speak. She added cream of mushroom soup to hold the filling together better.
I've added garlic, bits of bacon fried or raw and wild sauteed mushrooms to mine at times. Mom used to add ground ham and even Spam instead of sausage to hers at times. That's what I like most about cooking...each time one can change things. Fortunately that trait doesn't carry over to my handloading!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey,

thanks for the recipe,

How'd the 'procedure' go?

Good news I hope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome. Everything turned out well...in the end.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You were smarter than I was. The doctor told me to be careful what I ate for the next 48 hours until my system got re-coated and up to speed. Instead I went out the next day and played golf, and drank beer. Then we went and had cajun food. I had crawfish three ways. By midnight I was up and dressed ready to go to the emergency room. I felt like I was going to die, my guts were burning so bad. I survived but just barely. Next time I'll pay a little more attention.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make my cabbage rolls with no sauce, as well. Just prepare the meat, rice etc. the same way, but the real secret it to use "sour heads". Those are whole heads of cabbage that are pickled like sauerkraut, but not shredded. Dunno where you'll find the sour heads, but if there's a German community near you, you might get lucky.

Peel the leaves off the same as a regular cabbage and make your rolls. Then, top the bunch with regular shredded sauerkraut, and bake.

Just like Grandma used to do!

A real hit with my wife, and at moose camp.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wannabe...

added to the recipe book Big Grin

All I gotta do now is find 'em!!

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Occassionally I'll make what I call "Fake cabbage Rolls." Use the sour cabbage mentioned above, some pieces of deer sausage and extra spicey clamato juice. Fill jars and process in a pressure canner. great eaten cold as a hunting lunch.

Note it is a good idea to rinse sour cabbage leaves quickly in cold water as they may be a little to salty or sour unless some of the pickling flavours are removed.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i miss murf Frowner

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told my friend that he now knows how his stopped-up toilet feels when the roto-rooter man pulls up in the driveway.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote