THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    What's a common cooking "don't" that you "do" all the time?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a common cooking "don't" that you "do" all the time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
I crowd the pan. Too lazy to cook in batches.
I always rinse mushrooms.
An old myth, they don't absorb water.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
I crowd the pan. Too lazy to cook in batches.
I always rinse mushrooms.

I am guilty of both.

I will also refreeze meat after it has thawed. It has very, very little effect on quality.

I will also allow meat to freeze before rigor has set in(tough to do otherwise when it's -30f). They claim that doing so causes tough meat through "cold shortening". I call BS, the meat I have frozen "too soon" has been unbelievably tender.

I will also freeze meat in ziplock bags. They say that it causes freezer burn. In my experience it works about as well as a vacuum bag as far as freezer burn goes.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will also freeze meat in ziplock bags. They say that it causes freezer burn. In my experience it works about as well as a vacuum bag as far as freezer burn goes.

I do this with Ribeye steaks that I purchase for eating a few weeks later. I cut the steaks in half to cook or grill later, and put them in ziplocks, pushing all of the air out. I then mark the date on the outside of the ziplock and freeze it. When I am ready to eat one, I get it out, and put the ziplock in a small plastic bowl of warm water to defrost. Cook it later that afternoon and it tastes and cooks perfectly! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Then theres the old tale that you can't refreeze beef but you can venison.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Freezer burn is my friend. Not really, but I can't seem to avoid it. I don't worrying about it. My wild hog sausage, I defrost in the microwave. That seems to redistribute the juices. I then char it on my infrared grill and it is as good as any Choripan in Argentina. https://www.saveur.com/argentinian-style-choripan/ I haven't had any complaints.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ken, that's a great link on the Argentine parrilo cooking. Reminds me of my childhood in Nurenburg + Trier where one could get wursts on a hard roll with mustard from an old man in a cart on the old cobblestone streets. Great memories. They cost one mark, at that time 25 cents American.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote