THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Need Quick Duck Recipe for this evening.

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Quick Duck Recipe for this evening.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple buddies and I went duck hunting this AM and killed 12 gadwalls. They have been breasted out (meat is still on the chest bone), no skin. I want to bake them in the oven for a few hours, then make some gravy for the rice I'll be cooking in a separate pot.

So, what seasonings should I use, at what temperature, and for how long. I appreciate your responses.
Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it is afew months late, but you can allways make fajitas out of your duck breast. That is what we do most of the time.

"Speed is the key."

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to cook Gadwalls.

Finish taking the meat off the breast bone.

Cut the breast meat into Chicken McNugget size chunks.

Soak the nuggets overnite in a mixture of 50% Italian dressing and 50% soy sauce.

Wrap each duck nugget with a slice of bacon and pin it with half a wooden toothpick.

Cook them on a grille outside until the bacon is done - that tells you the duck is just right.

This will make you throw your steaks out to the dog and go kill some more Gadwalls out of season.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
There is only one way to cook Gadwalls.

Finish taking the meat off the breast bone.

Cut the breast meat into Chicken McNugget size chunks.

Soak the nuggets overnite in a mixture of 50% Italian dressing and 50% soy sauce.

Wrap each duck nugget with a slice of bacon and pin it with half a wooden toothpick.

Cook them on a grille outside until the bacon is done - that tells you the duck is just right.

This will make you throw your steaks out to the dog and go kill some more Gadwalls out of season.

I tried this with other ducks. Don't remember what species one of these-Pintail, Redhead, or Widgeon. Fabulous! People that normally don't like duck begged for the recipe. The only thing I changed was the addition of 1Tbls of 3V liquid tenderizer. It is a flavorless papaya extract that works miracles.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I butcher a duck, I bone out the breast, and save the legs and thighs and the heart, liver and gizzards.

Then I flour it and fry it in olive oil.

Just make sure and do not cook it too done.

Bacon wrapped duck is good too, as is bacon wrapped chicken livers...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to use the giblets for making duck/oyster gumbo.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote