THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Qodban - Moroccan Marinated Lamb Kabobs

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Qodban - Moroccan Marinated Lamb Kabobs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Qodban - Moroccan Marinated Lamb Kabobs

This spring, I’d like to try this Moroccan dish with venison; however, I will omit the cilantro (and perhaps double the parsley).

Regarding the beef suet mentioned in the recipe, I will have to come up with a suitable substitute; perhaps steak trimmings?

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - A Quintet of Cuisines, 1970:

quote:
Qodban
Marinated Lamb Kabobs

To Serve 4:

1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
3 pounds fresh beef suet, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 pounds lean boneless lamb, preferably from the leg, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes

Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, coriander, garlic, parsley, ginger, turmeric, cumin and salt in a deep bowl and stir until all the ingredients are mixed. Drop in the lamb and turn the pieces about with a spoon to coat them well. Marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours, or in the refrigerator for 6 hours, turning the lamb occasionally.

Light a layer of coals in a charcoal broiler and let them burn until a white ash appears on the surface, or preheat the broiler of your range to its highest point.

Remove the cubes of lamb and discard the marinade. Then, starting with a cube of suet and ending with one of lamb, thread the suet and lamb cubes alternately on six long skewers, pressing the suet and lamb firmly together.

Broil 4 inches from the heat, turning the skewers occasionally, until the lamb is done to your taste. For pink lamb, allow about 10 minutes; for the more traditionally Moroccan well-done lamb, broil the qodban for about 15 minutes.

Slide the lamb off the skewers onto a heated platter and discard the fat. Qodban will serve two or three as a main course or four as one of the dishes for a traditional Moroccan meal of many courses.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Your local butcher/abattoir would have beef suet. Suet is a specific fat found inside the body cavity, most around the kidneys. Caul fat would make an interesting substitute.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TAS! God bless you and welcome back!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Welcome back! Happy new year!
Always like your recipes.

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guy - it's good to be back!

quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Your local butcher/abattoir would have beef suet. Suet is a specific fat found inside the body cavity, most around the kidneys. Caul fat would make an interesting substitute.

The caul fat is very intriquing, but might be problematic from the usual sources up here. They tend to be less than imaginitive, and it took me a long time to talk the local butcher into saving oxtails for me.

I'll bring up the suet with them, and see if I can procure some. Another possible option might be brushing the kabobs with oil, or alternating venison and pork cubes.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
A lot of great cooks swear by the caul fat on a deer so next time you get a deer, try that. I love my venison kebabs.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
TAS! God bless you and welcome back!

We are whole again!! tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas, Indeed, welcome back. You have been missed. When I saw your name, I had to check the date, fearing it was an old one. Very pleased to see you here again!

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what Norman Conquest said :>Wink

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks awesome, but I love Middle Eastern and Indian food. Understand the need for some fat, but 3lbs of suet to 2lbs of lamb seems backwards to me.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Tax
Yes you have been missed!
I always enjoy your presentation of the meals you produce, especially the smoked meat.
We were you?
Welcome back and congratulations on being a Grandfather.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, guys - the exile was partially self-imposed (dealing with life), and partially related to posting activity elsewhere here.... Wink

quote:
This looks awesome, but I love Middle Eastern and Indian food. Understand the need for some fat, but 3lbs of suet to 2lbs of lamb seems backwards to me.

Agreed - sooner or later I'll try this, and gain some insight.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We like you here. Big Grin Stay away from the Political crater! tu2 More than one has turned to the dark side by going there. Big Grin