Tools

Squirrel recipes…
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted
Have had some cool mornings here…

Getting me psyched up for fall…

Every October my buddy comes up from Charleston and we squirrel hunt for a few days and then have a bash and fry them all up…

We soak them in salt water for a few days and then par boil them before frying…

Light coating of salt and flour and deep fried at around 350…

I’d like to try something different this season…

Anyone have a different method/recipe?

Do you guys also par boil?

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never soak them and never parboil.
I marinate them in a mix of soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, onion, a bit of honey, rosemary. Then they are roasted.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A variation. Crock pot with a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. One or two serrano peppers and some extra portabella mushrooms and onions.

Par boil...older squirrels, yes, young ones lightly breaded and fried.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make the back legs like Buffalo style chicken wings;

Keep them in salt water,dry thoughly;

deep fry,couple of minutes;

mix tabasco sauce about 4 tbs to one stick of melted butter for medium hot;

out of fryer,into the sauce,coat well,dip in blue cheese salad dressing...

WOW now I'm hungry

dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
try canning them first. I can almost everything we shoot. here's how: quarter squirrels, rinse off, pat dry, stuff pieces into 1 qt canning jar up to neck of jar, add 1 tsp of table salt, seasonings to taste ( I like some hot peppers 2 or 3, or some fresh garlic, or some cayanne pepper and chili powder) boil lid for 30 seconds, put lid on tightly by hand and insert jar into warm water into canner, then bring warer to boil and boil for 3 hours--or put jar into pressure cooker and cook for 1 hour. either way when done, it will last for several years ( I had venison that was 3 years old)and can be eaten right out of the jar, if need be. but its better if you heat it up first. gamieness is gone and meat falls right off the bone. happy eating---jim

Posts: 19 | Location: pa | Registered: 08 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my ex-wife did wonders with them......also quail and doves.....wish I had her recipes....but that's all!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The L.L. Bean Game and Fish Cookbook has a recipe for "squirrel cobbler" that will make you slap your Grandmother if you get it just right, but it's touchy, and requires parsnips.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9584 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quarter the squirrels, then salt, pepper, and sprinkle both sides with cavenders seasoning. flour then fry till golden brown. set squirrels aside, pour off most of the oil you fried them in, and heat oil, add flour and milk or water and make plenty of gravy. once the gravy is made, add the squirrel pieces to the gravy, cover, and bake in a 300-350 oven for 2.5 hours. the meat of the toughest old squirrel will fall off the bone. make a pan of rice and enjoy.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we don't have a few pints of canned squirrel hearts to sautee in butter, here in PA we live on squirrel pot pie or bot boi (it is not a meat pie). measurements are not precise, it's one of those do it 'til it looks right

sift together 5 cups of flour,3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1teaspoon of baking powder. blend in about 2 tablespoons of shortening to make it crumby. stir in 2 eggs and about 1/2 cup of water. Water should be just enough to make it a moist dough, kind of like pie dough. Don't overwork it. Roll it out like a pie crust and cut into squares about 2x2. let it dry out a little.
put squirrel, I usually use two or three for this recipe, a carrot, a celery stick and an unpeeled yellow onion in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer until squirrel is done.
skim off the crud that accumulates on top a few times.
take out squirrel,pick off the bones.
you can use your squirrel stock, or use chicken stock for the next step. Depends how much you like squirrel.
Bring stock to a boil, add dough and some cut up potatoes and squirrel meat in layers. I let it simmer about an hour.
This is real PA dutch stuff. it will fill you up and stay with you. Not a light meal, but wonderful good.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote