Find
Notify
Tools

Dove?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Warbird
posted
What is something different to do with dove? I usually just wrap the breast in bacon and throw them on the grill, but that is begining to get..old!

Posts: 50 | Location: NC | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Try filleting the breasts and sauteeing in olive oil, some butter, a few chopped garlic cloves, and oregano or basil, dash of salt, a bit of crushed red pepper if you like a bite. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
If your are really adventurous try dove breast carpaccio.Otherwise just use them in your favorite chicken recipes.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Breast if dove on toast. Finely chop a shallot [or small onion] saute in butter , add a soaked and chopped porcini mushroom, a bit of chopped parsley, salt, pepper, a bit of brandy .Add breast of dove . When cooked put breast on toast. Add some half and half ,or cream to the items in the pan . Pour contents over breasts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too wrap the dove in bacon on the grill but I put a whole Jalapano pepper on the inside (rib side)before wrapping it.
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an easy one that keeps the dove moist.

1. Season the dove breast with whatever you like..I use a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.

2. Place in a buttered casserole dish in one layer.

3. Pick up a box of cornbread stuffing mix...follow directions on box on how to prepare. Spoon mixture on top of dove breasts (they should be completely covered).

4. Bake in the oven according to directions on cornbread stuffing box.

The doves will come out tender and very moist.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You can fillet the breast meat and use them in gumbo; about equal parts dove and shrimp by volume. They complement each other pretty well.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to dredge the boneless breast meat in salted and peppered flour, and brown the dove in bacon grease. Then add a can of cream of mushroom soup with an extra half can of water (1-1/2 cans total). Cover and let simmer for about half an hour, and serve over steamed rice.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Dove and dumplings, use same recipe as you would for chicken and dumplings, but flavor with a couple of young grey squirrels. I simmer the doves and squirrels at low heat for about four hours, drain and save the stock. Pull the meat from the bones (that way you can get all the small bones, shot, and feathers out) and add back to the stock, bring back to a light boil and drop the dumplings on the meat. I do this every year opening weekend of dove season; get more of my kids home for that meal than I do for Christmas Day.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A simple but great dove recipe.

Charcoal grill
Wooden skewers
Fresh garlic
Cream cheese
Jalapeno
Bacon

Slice/pocket the breast
Add a thin slice of fresh garlic and jalapeno
Fill with cream cheese
Wrap in bacon
Skewer

Add more.
Grill over charcoal.
Takes a few minutes.
Make a bunch...........

We always take a small charcoal grill for a post hunt cookout!

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is to substitute dove for duck in any of the Cajon duck-oyster gumbo recipes. I use only the breast.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.paprikash.com/

I use a recipe similar to this one to make Hungarian paprikash. I subsitute chicken, pheasant and dove. Tastes great!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me the best thing to do with dove is substitute quail. Do the same thing with any pheasant recipe, substitute wild turkey.

The second best way to do dove is to take someone hunting with you that likes dove. Give them to him.

I will admit I cooked dove one time that was great, but was unable to reproduce it later. Too many Tecates.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i like to dust wth flour and brown when done let cool then remove meat from brestbone chop to biye-sized throw in a crockpot wth 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can of cream of potato soup cook for about 4-6 hrs on low heat simple but tasty

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote