Find
Notify
Tools

This is really good
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Last weekend I slaughtered an 18 month old ram. I cut meat yesterday. Here's some of the best cuts. Typical chops and I decided to do tomahawk rib eyes with part of the ribs. That left me with some nice spare rib sections.

These are all very thick cut. The rib eyes are two rib thickness. Chops are full vertebrae thickness. That allows a nice crust with a rare or medium rare interior. I grilled one of the rib eyes last night and had it with beets from my garden. Outstanding meal.

The ram was a very big boy, near 200 pounds (Dorper X Katahdin) and had been feeding on acorns since late summer and on grass. Big mast year here and he was super fat. I use a recip saw to do the bone in cuts.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those look pretty amazing, Ann. I have heard a lot of grumbling about how the big mast year kept the deer and hogs from the usual feeders. But ... ain't that kinda natural?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Those look pretty amazing, Ann. I have heard a lot of grumbling about how the big mast year kept the deer and hogs from the usual feeders. But ... ain't that kinda natural?

Absolutely natural. It has been several years since the last big batch. I think 2015? Been awhile.

The animals love it though. Even my chickens will eat them where I have run the nuts over with the tractor cracking them open.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad I like processed leaves!

Looks delicious! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr0oling at the moment.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you did a wonderful job again!!!

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

I always love your posts since it fits so well with my lifestyle too.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Wow!

I always love your posts since it fits so well with my lifestyle too.

Zeke

Thank you, Zeke. It's a good way to live.

~Ann