New
Find
Notify
Tools

Habenero's? (Hot Sauce)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an abundance of habeneros this year..and am running out of things to do with them. They stay amazingly well in the freezer wrapped in alum. foil, but i only need so many..Anyone have a recipe for a hot sauce???I have found many on the internet but am looking for a proven one! Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this:

Habanero Hot Sauce

Ingredients:

10 Habanero peppers
6 cloves garlic
1 coarse chopped carrot
1/2 Yellow onion coarse chopped
2 tsp salt
1 cup white vinegar
2 tbs agave nectar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
nitrile gloves
goggles

Place peppers, onions, carrots, and garlic on a roasting pan. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Roast in a 375 F oven for 30 minutes. Remove, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 15 minutes.

Don nitrile gloves and goggles. Stem, peel, and seed peppers. Peel garlic. Place pepper flesh, and rest of roasted ingredients into a saucepan along with roasted veggies, vinegar,Agave nectar, and salt. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to blender and puree. Bottle and refrigerate. Enjoy!

PS: This is really hot!!!!! But it tastes great.

Bob

Posts: 3688 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love peppers. Habaneros are too hot.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I will try this. Thanks! I am beginning to like hot stuff/peppers more and more than I thought I would in the past few years. Good stuff

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like them and will try that recipe!
Just had one chopped up on a baked potato.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just made that recipe with the exception on 2 carrots. DAMN is that good. Not as hot as raw but certainly more than exceptional. I will make this again! Thanks for the recipe!!!!! shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm not all that into heat, but that looks like a very flavorful recipe.
Wonder how it would compare to my favorite store-bought, Secret Aardvark.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. You can substitute any pepper in that recipe and get a great hot sauce. If you haven't tried it, use Serrano peppers. It is outrageous on nachos.
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I just made that recipe with the exception on 2 carrots. DAMN is that good. Not as hot as raw but certainly more than exceptional. I will make this again! Thanks for the recipe!!!!! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little bit more vinegary than I like but damn good! One of the surprises is that the burn from the pepper only lasts a minute and then it's gone, no heartburn, no begging for ice cream........ hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water and that should cut down on the acidity.
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
A little bit more vinegary than I like but damn good! One of the surprises is that the burn from the pepper only lasts a minute and then it's gone, no heartburn, no begging for ice cream........ hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
You are correct! I just made another batch and used 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water. Much more palatable!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
the gloves are a great idea when working with those kinds of peppers.... i grew jalapnos for a few years and I KNOW FIRST HAND.....................

democrat or american.... who are you?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I do the Austin Hot Sauce Festival + competition every year. I generally use jalapeneos but sometimes habaneros as well. I also grow my own tomatoes,onions,garlic,+ cilantro.The amounts are up to you;just hold your mouth right.I save my tomatos during the season,putting them in the freezer until I have a batch that I can make in the fall.(Plus after being frozen,put them in a hot water bath + they will shuck their skins all by themselves.)Then it's canning time.I don't know about you but some of my fondest memories are of spending a weekend in the kitchen putting up canned goods while it's cold outside + you are in the warm + fragrant kitchen with friends + family doing a heartfelt chore.Not a chore really,more a joy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote