THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Buttermilk Cajun Venison Cube Steak Brunch

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buttermilk Cajun Venison Cube Steak Brunch
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is our club favorite after a long morning's hunt:

Ingredients

- Venison cubed cutlets(2 per person)
- all-purpose flour
- Cajun seasoning
- shortening or lard
- buttermilk
- beef broth or chicken broth
- salt and pepper

Recipe

Marinate the Venison cubed steak in buttermilk for 4-6 hrs under refrigeration. Take a large seasoned cast iron skillet and melt 1/4 inch of lard/shortening over medium high heat. Dredge the steaks in flour, let them sit for about 5 minutes and carefully lower them into the fat. Don't crowd the pan and lower the heat or you will have greasy cubed steak. Pan fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove and drain, then season w/Cajun seasoning on both sides while hot. Remove all but 4 tbsp of fat and add about 4 tbsp flour or enough to make a thick paste. Reduce heat and stir until you make a medium brown roux. If you like dark rouxs, take it all the way. Once you get the color, add the broth and stir with a whisk until you get a gravy that will just coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, plus more Cajun if you like. Add the meat back to the pan and cover with gravy. Turn heat down to simmer and cover for 20 minutes.

Serve the steaks and gravy over yellow cheese grits with a fried egg on top. Accompany with fresh biscuits, butter and your favorite honey or fruit jam.

Enjoy!

Posts: 3681 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I love to do the same thing with duck breasts, only I go with a white gravy instead. And marinating in buttermilk will really remove that gamey flavor that can be really strong in ducks and some don't like.

I also give you an A+ for the grits and egg on top. tu2

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will there be Tobassco on the table or will you already have added it to the grits?

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
Will there be Tobassco on the table or will you already have added it to the grits?

Tabasco and Louisiana Hot Sauce sit right next to the salt and pepper at my table. Smiler Some of the club members aren't too heat tolerant so I leave it out of the grits. The Cajun seasoning I use has a good bit of cayenne in it. I usually splash a good quantity of Tabasco on my eggs though. We've got a local fellow who makes a green hot sauce out of Serrano peppers and roasted garlic that is killer.

daniel77 has a good idea for duck. I'll have to try that. Might have to add a little Andouille sausage to that too.

Posts: 3681 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote