Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone brave enough to eat crow??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1626,150182-240199,00.html

Can't believe it but there ARE bona fide recipes, so someone must be doing it. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
i've never eatin it but an exgirlfriend asked for a couple of pheasants so I went to the dump and killed a few crows for her. I plucked them clean and they didn't look too bad. Of course I told everyone a our local bar and a few days later she and her new man started telling Whitey (tender) about the delicious meal they just finished! Her new man was quit upset but before we could discuss the matter his motorcycle did him in,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between a crow and a raven?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it once. Pan fried in butter. Maybe if I were starving but short of that I'll pass.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What we get in the late fall are the migratory crows that feed on crops and nuts as they fly south. They are very good to eat.

But the indigenous population (especially the big ravens that eat road kill) are another story. I don't know their full diet but they taste like they haunt sewage treatment plants and land-fills.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot 2 once with a 22mag my friend’s mother cooked it for us. She had a way with food she could make anything taste nasty and crow was one of them.

If it was cooked by someone that could cook a decent meal it might be ok.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
All wrong. When it hits the ground it's a crow.... Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
What we get in the late fall are the migratory crows that feed on crops and nuts as they fly south. They are very good to eat.

But the indigenous population (especially the big ravens that eat road kill) are another story. I don't know their full diet but they taste like they haunt sewage treatment plants and land-fills.

After seeing ducks on the local sewage treatment pond when I was in high school I never cared to even shoot water fowl.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
At one time the UT Ag Extension office put out a crow cook book. I have one here some place. Figured it would be a high demand item one day.

The father of a old school friend talked of growing up poor on a W TX dirt farm and eating MANY meadowlarks over his youth.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten one, but they are some of the longer lived common birds, over 20 years. I'd be sure to check their ID before I cooked one up, as in many things younger is better. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should ask over in the Political Forum. I know a quite a few guys over there who've been pretty well living on it.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When about 12 years old I shot a crow with my Sheridan pellet rifle. I talked my mother into cooking it. My brother and I thought it was OK. I think it tasted about the same as blackbirds and doves. It was much better than muskrat which I consider inedible. I suspect crows eat a lot of dead insects and animals, some of which may have died from poison. It seems they would potentially accumulate toxic substances in their flesh, so I don't plan on eating more crows.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

After seeing ducks on the local sewage treatment pond when I was in high school I never cared to even shoot water fowl.

Roger that. All my ducks come from Krogers. But I'll eat our local coots (pouldoons to our brothers east of the Sabine River) in a heartbeat.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never ate crow/raven but when I was much younger and a "man" of the woods a friend and I killed and cooked a bluejay. I do not recommend it. thumbdown

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The sight of crows snacking on roadkill ruins my appetite for them.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried them pot roasted, and was not pleased with the results. They do make great crab bait however, and there is no need to pluck them. Just place the whole bird in the crab trap bait cage. Well, there needs to be some valid reason for shooting them other than for the fun of it right? Probably not!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Never ate crow/raven but when I was much younger and a "man" of the woods a friend and I killed and cooked a bluejay. I do not recommend it. thumbdown

I disagree, roasted bluejay is quite tasty over an open fire, not as good as red bird, but certainly enjoyable. Of course its been about 45 years since I have eaten any bluejay or red bird, but the memory lingers.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone brave enough to eat crow??

Yup. Big Grin

It's really not bad at all.

I cut out the breast meat and soak them in a brine of kosher salt and water for little while. Then pound them with a tenderizing mallet.

Flour em', egg em' and shake em' in a bowl of seasoned bread crumbs.

Then fry like chicken.

Pretty good with a marinara sauce to dip em' in..

As far as crows eating road kill, I've seen feral hogs eating maggots out of decomposing horse carcasses and I still shoot and eat feral hogs.

I love crabs and lobsters and they're in the business of eating the pre-dead.

Crows are great fun to shoot and though not my favorite I'll make use of them.

One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
There's an old french canadian reciepe for crow. On a good sized campfire place a large pot with about 5L of cold water. Add a few potatoes, a large oingon, carrots, a stalk of celery, turnup, salt and pepper. Now put the lid upside down on the pot and put the field dressed crow on top of the lid. When the water starts to boil add 1 bottle of beer or 2 cups of red wine to the veggies. Let boil for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When the veggies are done pick up the crow, throw it in the fire, eat the veggie stew!

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Check this out, I think it is still there. www.crowbusters.com Read some of the Recipes and the Hate Mail. Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
You should ask over in the Political Forum. I know a quite a few guys over there who've been pretty well living on it.

Only the liberal Canadian members eating crow over there... Big Grin

If you can eat duck or even worse goose...then you should be able to eat any bird properly prepared. None of that compares in horror to sashimi of Spanish Mackerel. Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a serious note, basically you can, with out danger of sickness or death, eat ANYTHING that has hair, feathers, or scales.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a long time ago ... when in my younger days I said that if I killed it, I'd eat it ... I was dove hunting when a crow burst through a gap in a tree line where the dove were moving and I nailed it.

Cooked the breast meat like the dove. Actually wasn't bad.

Would beat being hungry.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote