Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canned Deer
 Login/Join

posted
I tried it for the first time a a few weeks ago WOW! I'll probably can a whole deer next year.
-First take a roast or 2 and cut it into cubes 1/2 -3/4 inches and remove ALL traces of fat.
-Lightly brown the cubed meat.
-Pack the cubes in Med sized jars.
-Add one garlic clove to each jar and distribute the juice from the pan evenly into each jar. It does not have to cover the meat.
-Place the lid on and screw rims down fairly tight.
-Put the Jars in a pressure cooker under 15lbs of pressure for about 1 hour and 15 mins.

As the jars cool they will seal. Store in the basement or in the fridge. Tastes great with rice or in spaghetti sauce or just on it's own. Heat and eat! Two roasts made about 6 jars.

Posts: 17 | Location: Buffalo NY | Registered: 30 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to can meat do some research to find out exactly how to do it safely. Food poisoning is not fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct about canned vension. Some of the best eating to be had for sure. Lasts a very long time. If your are unsure how to can, a county ag.extension office in your burg or county can provide infomation or call Rodale Press and order a book called Stocking Up.This book has proven techniques for canning almost anything that flies,walks, swims or crawls. Canners do not let naysayers put you down This technique done correctly can provide great eating. Pressure canning is the way to go. Although cold packing does have its place.IMHO

posted Hide Post
If anyone was thinking of trying this this year I hope you already bought your jars.... They are hard to find "out of season" canning season that is... I member the first year I was gunna try this myself. I looked all over for jars... I told them it is in season! DEER CANNING SEASON and they just laughed and said fruit and vegetables is canning season...

I too have been canning fer a while now and on your weekend lake trips, week long camping trips, or when ya come home wore out and want something good, NOW I just open a jar up and have me some deer meat... Leaves ya freezer free too. And hurricane IKE got almost all of my deer meat. Cool It didn't get the ones jars in the pantry.

It's really good, you should try it!

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try it with smoked deer chunks. wow!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can you elaborate on your recipe?

one of us
posted Hide Post
billy - if you're talking to me, you can find it right here:

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/fo...s.asp?TID=11292&PN=4

give it a try and let me know what you think!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hummmm... I may give this a try. I never have added any liquid at all. I usually just fill jar, leaving 1" of head space, and then add 1 tablespoon of salt, then pressure cook at 10 psi fer 90 minutes. Yours surely sounds good though. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to steak out the backstraps, maybe a roast or two from the hindquarters and bottled all the rest.

Works great with sloppy joe mix. Just take the cubes and rub them between the palms of your hands as you drop them in the pan. They crumble right up.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodale press printed a book titled "Stocking Up". If it can be canned this book covers the process. Also various methods of canning are covered. To buy such a book try" half.com ". I WOULD WORRY A LITTLE CANNING MEAT AT 10LBS OF PRESSURE. By the way get the 3rd edition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course 10 LBS pressure is perfectly safe for any canning. Food safety with regards to home canning is a combination of time and temperature and pressure.

I made it a point to research the BALL Corp. "Blue Book" for home canning. All meats, poultry and seafood are recommended to be processed (canned) at 10LBS pressure in the home.

1/2 and 1 Pint jars should be processed anywhere from 45 minutes (shrimp) to 100 minutes (Salmon and Shad) with all other meats in between.

1.5 Pint and Quart jars should be processed anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes with certain items not recommended due to the mass and jar size. Check your guidelines for specifics. Only Chicken A La King and seafood was not recommended in these sized jars. Game is fine.

Hope this clarifies things for everyone.