Find
Notify
Tools

The Bush Mushrooms Recipe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ingredients for 4 persons:

- 1 kg bush mushrooms (read : plainsgame kidneys, wildebeest, impala, kudu, whatever...)
- 3 big onions
- 4 garlic 'units' (don't know the world in english)
- olive oil
- beer
- parsley if available (difficult in the bush...)
- salt, pepper, coriander, fresh hot peppers if available

Cut the bush mushrooms in two, peel them, and soak them in water to rince them thouroughly and get rid of all urine (leave them for 3 days and change the water twice a day).
Cut them in 1 inch cubes.
Slice the onions and chop the garlic.
Pan-fry onion and garlic in olive oil, when the onions begin to get blond/transparent add the mushrooms and brown them. Season to taste (salt, pepper, coarsely ground coriander seeds, hot stuff...). Add chopped parsley if available.
When your mushrooms are well done : flame with what you have at hand (whisky, gin...), cover it all with beer and let reduce gently for half and hour to one hour.

Serve with rice and enjoy.

I worked out this recipe for some guests we had for lunch on my safari last year. They where vegitarian student visitors, and enjoyed the mushrooms a lot [Big Grin] . Them bunny-huggers never knew they were eating the animal in the picture below [Cool]

[ 02-19-2003, 17:46: Message edited by: King Baboon ]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will White Tail Kidneys work or lamb/Beef for that fact?Oh And Does France let people Bring Meat home i sure wish the Us did *Grumbles*

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ninja,

Any kidney will do fine of course. Last year I brought back about 4 kg of biltong, but I didn't ask permission. I just had it vacuum packed before leaving, so in case of a custom control it would have appeared 'cleaner' than the original paper bag... Next time I will try to bring some fresh meat too, mmmh, kudu filet and warthog ribs [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

[ 02-20-2003, 14:06: Message edited by: King Baboon ]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
Could you post that recipe at my recipe forum at huntamerica.com? It sounds good and will give it a try with some calves kidneys as I don't have any wildebeast handy.