New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Cassoulet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It may be Summer in some parts of the UK, but not here ! Hence a hearty dinner was needed.

My version of a Cassoulet.

Beechwood smoked lardons
Chopped medium onion
Two cloves of garlic, crushed.
Diced celery and carrot.

White wine
Rosemary, Thyme, Sage.
Plumb tomatoes
Chicken stock

Cannellini beans
Venison sausage - oven cooked.
Pheasant breasts - pre cooked sous vide
Duck breasts - "

The onion, garlic etc., was softened in a pan, with a little olive oil. A generous helping of black pepper was added, as well.

The whole shebang was then put into the slow cooker, on a low setting, for about twenty four hours. Yes, It does sound a long time, but on a low heat, the results are fine.

Served with garlic bread, and a very nice Shiraz.

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply outstanding, Steve - thank you for posting. Cassoulet is something that I have certainly been wanting to try, and your post makes it look easy.

I could be wrong, but I am guessing that would go very well with some sort of Brown Ale; then again, I just brewed a Chestnut Brown Ale, and it turned out so well that it's on my mind all the time!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Instead of a box with the word "BREAD " shouldn't you have some full flavoured home made bread with that ? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Instead of a box with the word "BREAD " shouldn't you have some full flavoured home made bread with that ? Smiler

The homemade bread had all been eaten. Wink

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ! That bread needed to soak up tose juices ! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hearty indeed, I love Cassoulets, thanks for sharing. Did you prepare the Pheasant breast yourself, if so would you please elaborate on how you did it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Hearty indeed, I love Cassoulets, thanks for sharing. Did you prepare the Pheasant breast yourself, if so would you please elaborate on how you did it?

Yes, I did cook the Pheasant breasts, and also the duck. The venison sausage were homemade as well.

The Pheasant and duck were cooked Sous Vide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

It is easy enough to do, and there are plenty of DIY instructions available via a Google search.

Meat cooked thus is always tender, and does not dry out.

Steve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am very familiar with the Sous Vide cooking process, was just curious about yours, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did come across a survey recently that showed those who use it have a higher rate of food poisoning So be careful.