New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's For Thanksgiving Dinner?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Traditional fare is wild turkey, corn, yams, potatoes, pumpkin pie. All the native foods found by the Pilgrims in the New World.

And the Indians, natives showed up, some 90 of them, and feasted. Probably went on for days and days, certainly included some serious imbibing.

Also seems to have included "games" -- skills in hunting, shooting, bows, and matchlocks.

Then the natives brought in venison -- deer, although the term refers to ANY game with fur. Deer, elk, antelope.

Venison is a "high status" food in the native culture. It would have been custom to return the generosity of the Pilgrim feast with feasts hosted by the natives.

So, what's cookin' ???

I'm huge on beef and London Broil. I like a stir fry with beef, pork, traditional Chinese veggies.

Living on the edge of the Pacific, I also like fish, shellfish.

Beer, ale, Canadian Whisky -- but Canuckville is my roots.

We have some venison lined up -- Onions, garlic, Portabello shrooms, Marsala braised. Yukon Gold spuds, new red potatoes.

Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin cheesecake! I really like cherry cobbler, and apple pie.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm carving the typical turkey etc for friends as usual. However another friend was looking for something different so I gave him a recipe which has long been a favorite in my family - Crown roast of pork with chestnut stuffing !! This is great for a festive occasion ,looks nice and is super delicious . beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oysters were there traditionally also.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am smoking two turkeys as I write. mesquite and charcoal under a pan of water. smokey and moist.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
How about Turkey SPAM for breakfast. lol

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote