New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Sausage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My first effort at sausage making was quite a success, so,I had another go.

This time, I used pheasant, duck, rabbit, and belly pork, with a Cumberland mix ( + extra black pepper )

Six Pheasant breasts
Four Duck breasts
Ten rabbit back straps
Six slices of fat, belly pork
200g Bran/Cumberland mix
A good dessertspoon of fresh, black pepper
Water
Hog casing

I managed to fill the Hog casing a little easier this time, getting speed and timing under control.

Once made, I linked some, made a Cumberland ring, and the remainder into a meat loaf type of thingy, and cooked in a Bain Marie.

I'm pleased with this batch. A slightly coarser mix,and the extra pepper, worked, as did a little more water, making the mix softer, and thus easier to fill the casing.

This is a lengthy process, but the end product beats any supermarket sausage that I have tried.

Not only taste, of cousre. I also know what has gone into them. Wink

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve- Your last sentence is quite important! You have a recipe worth repeating.....if the game holds out.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
Steve- Your last sentence is quite important! You have a recipe worth repeating.....if the game holds out.

The game will hold out long enough, I think. Wink

I have been beating on a local shoot,twice a week, since October 1st. 2015,and am offered birds at the end of the day. So, between four and twelve birds, every week. Pheasants, Mallard, and Partridge.

My freezers are full. Big Grin

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cumberland sauce ? Here that contains black currants usually.
For venison about 25 % pork with a good bit of fat is my favorite .
Never did much for small game.
Nice work ! tu2