New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuna
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at a Tuna fishing trip. Web pages from charter services say 100-200 pound class. Anyone know 200 ways to prepare tuna? [Big Grin] [Razz] [Smile]

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fresh grilled steaks.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eshell- how thick do you cut them and what seasonings do you prefer? Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenneth. Dont know if you like Asian foods.But here is a simple recipe for Sesame Tuna Steaks.Take a 6 oz tuna steak (about 1" thick) and brush it with about 1 oz of sesame oil.Then coat both sides of the fish with sesame seeds pressing to make a solid ,even coating.
In a very hot frying pan, saute the fish in some sesame oil til golden brown then flip and finish in a 375 f oven till cooked.
Remove the fish to a plate and put 1 oz of tamari sauce and 2 oz fish stock into pan to deglaze it.Place fish on bed of fried onions and pour sauce over top.Enjoy
P.S Rough quide for cooking is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.Tuna can be served under done, so I would only cook it about 7 minutes start to finish.

[ 10-25-2003, 02:42: Message edited by: turnerhunter ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the species of tuna, but yes there's are hundreds of ways to prepare tuna. If you can, have them loined and vaccuum packed and frozen immediately. Bleed them immediately after boating them too.

Can a bunch yourself, it's really pretty easy and it'll ruin you forever on commercially canned tuna. I just did 60 pints of albacore last week. Smoking loins is excellent too, lots of brine recipes.

An easy recipe for fresh tuna is to make tacos with sliced loins sauteed in a little olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt. Homemade flour tortillas, salsa and shredded lettuce and you're set.

Sauteed loin slices in a spagetti sauce with pasta is great too.

Posts: 176 | Location: Cal-ee-four-nee-ya | Registered: 17 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Dagenhart:
eshell- how thick do you cut them and what seasonings do you prefer? Thank you [Smile]

Hi Kenneth,
We cut them to about an inch, or a little more, thick. Much thinner, and they don't stay together as well and don't seem as tasty. I like using a little salt, pepper and lemon juice to lightly baste them while on the grill. You can almost do them with nothing. Many people around here use "Old Bay" seasoning on fresh tuna (like they do on everything else from the local creek, bay or ocean), but I think that the flavor of fresh tuna is too delicate for any potent spices. Try to eat as much as you can before you have to freeze it.

I hope you do well on your trip, tuna can be a blast to catch, especially if you do get into some that go past a hundred. Straight down at 50 mph . . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Undercooked, rather than overcooked is better. In fact, almost raw is best!

Try broiling 1" steaks with some lemon pepper butter. Melt 2 oz. butter with the juice of one lemon. Add fresh ground pepper.

Brush liberally on the steaks, with more pepper. Broil in 500 deg. oven for 3-5 min. per side, just till it starts to brown. Flip over and add more butter and pepper.

Serve with a relish made from fresh fruit - apples, strawberries, grapes and melon - chopped fine, with a squeeze of lemon and some fresh ground pepper (Yes, you read that right, fresh ground pepper on fruit - it's awesome!).

My son, the chef, told me about this. I served it to my girlfriend on our second date. She was smitten. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Crude, sliced or cutted in cubes, put in frigo beeing covered with lemon juice for a not too long time, half an hour and then dressed with oil salt and pepper
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soak it in water and teriyaki sauce (50/50 is okay) overnight and then put it in your smoker with mesquite chips. It's done when it is slightly flaky but still firm.