New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Wild Turkey Recipe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Managed to fill a turkey tag that I drew on our lease in South Texas for a gobbler (shot it in the neck with a .416, that's a rightous deer cartrigde, which is what I was hunting and every deer fell right in it's tracks). (Works for Cape buffalo, zebra, impala, and warthogs too).

Here's the question, Any good Turkey recipes for Christmas dinner?

Oh, the turkey dropped in it's tracks too.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since wild ones have flavor I'd keep it simple.Perhaps just roasting it and adding a fruit glaze near the end of cooking. I use a low sugar type preserves .1 jar mixed with juice and grated rind of a lemon.
I was tempted to take a turkey with my 45-70 one year but our turkey and deer seasons don't overlap.Of course there are those on this forum who would say 45-70 or 416 is undergunned for turkey ! BOOM thumb

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Since you're in Houston, take it to Goode Company BBQ and have them smoke it for you.

As much as I pride myself on my ability to smoke any meat (or herb), I can't smoke a wild turkey without drying it out. Good Co will get it perfectly smoked and keep it moist and tender (well, everything except the legs).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has the turkey already been frozen ? Don't attempt to smoke frozen meat . Smoke first, freeze later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote