THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Jerky recipies and smoking techniques

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerky recipies and smoking techniques
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Hunter
posted
Anybody have any good jerky marinades and any tips about smoke flavores and smoking times? I have a Bradley smoker. I have tried to make jerky twice, but just doesnt taste like the stuff I have made at the butchers.

Posts: 28 | Location: Spruce Grove AB | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited the company that provides salmon to the queen and the former shaw of Iran...interesting set up. It was interesting due to the "primitivness" of it. The trick I think is a "slow and lazy" smoke. Not a heavy rolling smoke just one that slips by the meat and slowly kisses it on the way past.

I also worked at a restaruant that had a wood burning oven that we cooked mostly chickens in. We were importing apple wood at a cost of 300 bucks a cord, I brought an armload of poplar in and tried that--it was just as good in every way except that it burned a little faster.
A couple of companies that make smoked salmon actually use spruce wood. I know we're all told not to use softwood because of the resin, but it's the honest truth that's what they use.

The few times I've tried to make jerky in my sausage smoker it's not worked well. It's too small and confined, the smoke is too dense, the moisture doesn't evaporate correctly. I would suggest a building about the size of an outhouse with small holes (a couple inches or so) drilled a little ways down from the roof to let the smoke out a bit but not too much. The moisture from the jerky shouldn't drip off, it should slowly evaporate before it can drip.

This and sausage making are an art and very hard to actually describe, but if you can get the idea I'm trying to get across here you can get the "feel" for it.

hope this helps

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chef has the idea!! I have tried it in a 55 gal barrel smoker I built and a Brinkman electric smoker and it is too smoky for me. I used to do salmon in Alaska with a Little Chief smoker with the door cracked about an inch or so to keep the smoke in check and not make it too smoky. We also smoked salmon eggs and fried them in bacon grease for breakfast...pretty good stuff!!

Last year I tried deer jerky in a gas grill with Jack Daniels smoking pellets for 1/2 hour and then put it on a dehydrator overnight. It turned out pretty good. I had soaked the meat in a soy sauce, brown sugar, onion powder garlic and cayanne pepper mix for 1/2 hour before it went on the grill. I have also done scrap beef the same way, but ground up and run thru a jerky shooter. Just make sure the meat is lean.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I've got some Deer jerky I've just about finished feeding to the dog. I had it done by the local idiot in Olds and apparently they just sliced it and dried it in the oven. Any way a guy can salvage this shit and give it some flavor? Also, being a neophyte at this, How do you differentiate between hot and cold smoke?
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot smoke is hot enough to cook the meat--or coagulate the protein which causes the protein strands to shorten and bunch up squeezing the moisture out of the meat. 160 degrees is hot smoke for sure. Cold smoke is usually created in an exterior smoke chamber and redirected into the area where you have your meat.
I'm just guessing but I think cold would be under 100 degrees or so.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold smoke is never more than 120F and is usually 70-90F. Times can range up to about 72 hours for a ham so it depends on size and how much smokey flavor you want .Simple 55 gal drum smokers can be made , keep the fire pit 10-12 feet from the drum.Common chips are from hickory ,apple, black birch.Evergreens should not be used as they produce creosote flavors from the resins.

One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
For flavor you could try a little Worcestershire sauce, and then throw them in the oven at lowest setting for a while to dry.

If you don't like it your dogs will get a kick out of it.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote