New
Find
Notify
Tools

Singing Pines Wild Rice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The holidays depleted our supply of wild rice, so I ordered some more. Mr. Allen, now in his 70s is still doing business the old fashioned way, you order, he includess a bill with your rice order, and you pay him upon receipt. Very Highly recommended, makes great, relatively cheap gifts in say, a package of 3 pounds, one each of his three types of rice. I am re-posting my original of about 4 years ago. Buy 20 pounds, mix and match, and his prices go down about 10%. His rice is sold by others at higher prices, so, if you like wild rice, why not buy from the source?

I have been ordering from him for at least 25 years.

BTW, I mentioned to him we were getting some Minnesota weather, going to be in the teens tonight, which is damn cold for our area. He laughed and said it was MINUS 24 this morning at his house.

quote:
posted 09 April 2013 13:35
While in a losing effort to do some spring cleaning I came across this name and address.

Singing Pines Wild Rice
Joe Allen
Grand Rapids Minn

218 326 1013

I just called him up to be sure he was still in business and didn't mind me posting his business on the internet.

I've bought wild rice, which I really enjoy in various recipes as well as plain, from this gentleman for over 25 years. His name and address is hard to find since he does very little advertising and, AFAIK, doesn't use a computer much, if at all. Some people resell his products but why not buy from the source? He gives small discounts for larger purchases. Amazingly, in this day and age, he sends the rice without pre-payment. Once you get it, you send him a check. He does not take credit cards. I asked him if he got stiffed very often and he said, "Only a couple of times over the years". Maybe wild rice promotes honesty?

He is now 68 and says he will keep selling it for at least a couple of more years. Nice guy to do business with. He has several types of wild rice, wild as well as cultivated, and several different areas and ways of preparation. I'm not sure he's the cheapest but comparing apples to apples he delivers a fine product at competitive prices. It ain't cheap but good things rarely are. Highly recommended.

His wild rice, which comes in plastic packages, make exceptional Christmas gifts for those of us who are not in wild rice country.

BTW, to be clear, I've never met him personally and have no relationship whatsoever to his business.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to file that away, thanks. That is wonderful country. Long, mild summer days and short cold winter days. I lived a little west of there in the prairie. It was a long cold winter. It warmed up to -10 at the end of grouse season. No wind so we went out. The grouse were roosted in the snow. It was a blast!

I worked with the wild rice growers who were hurting financially because production had started in CA and the market was flooded.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote