Find
Notify
Tools

Chili
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Cold front moving in + daughter in law asked if I would make a batch of chili.Sure. Now some think no beans + some who do. I DO. I brown 2 lbs. of (venison,H.B.,stew.etc.) in the pot. I saute one small onion + bell pepper then add to the meat + add a LG can of Ro'tel tomatoes as well as a can each of red beans,pinto beans,corn.I spice with Chili powder,cumin.garlic,+ paprika.I usually use hot pepper as well but my new daughter in law is from Wisc. + has not as of yet adapted to our spicey tastes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just serve it with some shredded cheddar cheese and your daughter in law will be fine. Maybe go light on the corn unless its on the cob.

Posts: 33 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 31 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Yeah- my tastes say corn, in moderation, is good, and 2 types of beans add flavor and texture. I like a bit of heat, but not enough to disable the taste buds. Of course, I grew up in N. Illinois, not Texas..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just like chilli. The hotter the better but tobasco goes well with chilli.

I need to make it but I am kind of lazy on complicated cooking - anything i can’t cook on a fire.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just serve it with some shredded cheddar cheese and your daughter in law will be fine.

Yep. tu2 And make sure that it's Wisconsin cheese. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Use Enough, why settle for Wisconsin cheddar when you could have Tillamook from dairies on the Oregon Coast?

https://www.tillamook.com/

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16464 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah she is a "cheese head" but everything went on as should be.GREAT CHILI enjoyed by all ,with my own home made corn bread. (As Phil Harris would say "And that's what I like about the south.")

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,as an addendum,I LOVE the tillamook sharp cheddar.For me it as a great snacking cheese.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use Enough, why settle for Wisconsin cheddar when you could have Tillamook from dairies on the Oregon Coast?

Bill: Couldn't agree with you more. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for some time, and grew to love Tilamook Z(Cheese, Ice Cream, etc.). That's my 'go to' cheese, along with Cache Valley Cheese from Utah. Big Grin
Just figured that he might want to keep the daughter in law feeling a little 'close to home' with her native Wisconsin cheese. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She loved it last night + had it again tonight + have enough for tomorrow.As they say,the proof is in the pudding.I know that the cayenne just like salt can be added afterwards although it is better blended;however one can add it to their bowl,one can not take it out.I need to break her in gentle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They finished it off tonight.Sunday night I'm going to make what we call "Mess".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the kids had other plans for Sunday night so "Mess" has been posponed until sometime next week as we all know that this next Sunday is St. Pat's + thus I WILL be making corn beef,cabbage.+ red new potatoes.(I don't add carrots).