New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venison shanks with Risoto
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Man, braised venison shanks are wonderful. When I think about all the venison shanks I threw away, I could kick myself.
As follows:

Two shanks
carrots
celery
tomato
beef bullion to cover the shanks
onions
any other spices/herbs you like

Place shanks in oven proof container, and braise at 250F for 2-3 hours, or until the meat pulls from the bone.

Serve with Risotto and a good red wine and enjoy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you've learned ! clap I started out as a kid eating shanks , the traditional veal with risotto, a classic of Milan.Later as a hunter I did it with venison. Lamb can also be used and smoked pork hocks with lentils are great.
The shank should be cut in two pieces ,and I cook 4 pieces at a time usually.Brown the shanks in hot olive oil. Add 1/2 cup red wine.Then add chopped onion ,carrot, celery and cook down a bit .Then add tomato.Mushrooms are a good addition also.adjust liquid to barely cover the meat.Reduce to simmer with cover on.I do it on the stovetop but in the oven works fine too.
Be careful - it's loaded with flavor !! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quit posting about deer shanks. I get about 40 sets a year from my shooting friends. Up until now the only ones missing them were the various dogs that got them. Now I just wink at them and press on. Not only does it make a fine main meal but we also make a terrine of duck, deer shanks and wild boar that is to die for.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote