New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Duck Casserole Recipe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been fortunate this year and have a freezer full of ducks. Tired of fried breast. I'd like a casserole recipe if you have one. thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is how I make braised goose.
Cut goose into about 12 pieces and brown in oil.Add chopped onion, celery, carrots,tomato [canned].Fruit works well with waterfowl so add one of the following , chopped tart apple ,thinly sliced lemon, dried tart cherries, etc. Simmer for 1 + hours until done.
Serve with polenta, mashed potato, or rice .

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
LBGuy, it says you've lived all over. How's your French? I googled "wild duck recipes" in French and got 227,000 sites:

http://www.google.fr/search?hl...canard+sauvage&meta=

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You'll find many great waterfowl recipes at Scott Leysath's website at www.huntfishcook.com or www.thesportingchef.com Scott is a fabulous wild game chef,and has built a wonderful career as a celebrity chef who specializes in wild game. You'll love some of his many recipes, for sure.

My son just came up with a great recipe for goose breasts, and which will work equally well for ducks. He takes a boned, skinless breast and cuts a pocket in it. Into the pocket he stuffs pepper jack cheese and cream cheese. He then wraps the whole thing in bacon slices and grills it till medium rare. I've eaten many, many ducks over the last 42+ years, and this was about as good as any recipe I've ever tried.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does it differ from duck Gumbo?John Folse,a Cajun restauranteur has a book "After the Hunt".tells how to cook every game in s Louisiana.you should be able to find something in there.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wink - i've visited france a few times courtesy of my uncle sam, but can't speak the language. thanks to all. gonna try a few.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic French this one........joint the duck and brown, deglaze with sauternes or other desert wine, then throw in a mirepoix and quartered onions. Core and slice apples.

Braise the duck in a cup of sauternes and another 2 cups of duck stock, or heavily reduced chicken stock/ beef stock, until tender. Dust the apple slices in sugar and fry in butter and again deglaze with Calvados. Garnish the duck and serve with potato gratin and a white burgungy or pinot gris from Alsace Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And for those duck breasts.......cook like an old fashioned steak au poivre....... coat with crushed peppercorns, pan fry, serve rare and deglaze the pan with brandy or Madiera and add extra smashed peppercorns and pour in heavy cream and veal glaze reduce the sauce until it coats the back of a wooden spoon..........great with mashed potatoes

Good bottle of Pinot to wash those fiery suckers down. beer

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
I've been fortunate this year and have a freezer full of ducks. Tired of fried breast. I'd like a casserole recipe if you have one. thanks

How do you fry your duck breast? I cut mine in small strips, marinade them in Woshister (sp) sauce for 24 hrs, then roll in fish fry (Zatarain's seasoned or T-Pierre's if I can find it) and fry like fish in hot oil. Pretty good stuff.

I also pan fry pretty much like Blair's receipt on occassion, and will vouch for it's goodness.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually beat them until very thin, then salt/pepper/roll in flour and fry for about a minute or less. very tender that way.

however, i have eaten them until i just have to have another method.

i was thinking of a recipe where one could first boil the breast until tender (or bake them covered in the oven), then add to a mixture of something like wild rice, onions, some seasonings (i don't know which seasonings), and put it all in a casserole dish to do the final cooking.

i thought a casserole was pretty common, but the more i read, the more it seems a duck casserole is a rarity.

i'm a country boy, so i'm used to meat and taters. thus the casserole versus something far fancier.

thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with the casserole, and it looks like we have been frying our duck pretty simular.

I sometimes make a sauce out of DiJon (sp)mustard, honey, butter and spices, split the birds in half, and cook them on a barbicue pit. Can't overcook them of course nothing worse than dry, tough, duck unless it's bland seafood.

Good luck finding your recipe, post it after you've tried it.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Try this if you fancy something unusual.

Brown off some chopped onions and garlic in a pan.

Add the Duck, jointed into 8 pieces with the bones in and brown off.

Add walnuts blitzed in the food processor to roughish paste, pomegranate molasses and barberries.

Cook very slowly for 2 hours and serve with rice.

Be sure to skim the walnut oil off the top though, save this very deliciously flavored oil to rub duck breasts with before grilling.

I prefer bottle of claret with this, but to be honest I think beer suits this dish better.

I hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks men.