New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make mine a bowl of Menudo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being raised in South and Southwest Texas and Mexico I grew up eating Menudo and such, but Menudo has been my favorite Mexican meal all my life. Bar b qued Spanish kid goat over an open pit of Mesquite runs a close second..CArne Adobaba runs a real close second..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Pork menudo or traditional tripe menudo? Saw both on the net.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love menudo and cabrito. Barbacoa as well. Also born and raised on the Rio.

Have had tripe soup in Africa, and it's good, but they cut the tripe in too large pieces for my taste.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'll bet Ray is talking about the tripe variety, that is traditional + as I've mentioned before, it's the Mexican hangover cure. Tastes good too. Here in central Texas you will see those little old rotund mamasitas with their roadside menudo stands. NOT FDA approved of course, but the best tasting.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You used to be able to find barbacoa roadside on Sundays too, but that was before mad cow.

But back in the day, I was helping a goose guide, with my dog, and we'd take clients to these little hole in the wall places for lunch after a hunt. On Sundays, I generally ordered barbacoa.

One day, we went to this great place that served tacos. We had some Yankees, from Illinois or someplace. They all ordered the juevos con papas, or the more adventurous ones ordered juevos con chorizo. I ordered barbacoa.

After they saw my barbacoa tacos, a couple of the Yankees wanted some. After their order came back, one asked what this was and I said just eat it and I'll tell you afterward. They loved the barbacoa, but got a little pale when they found out what it was.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact, I used to be able to buy live cabrito and frozen shrimp roadside, sometimes from the same guy! Always sad on the goats. They were just grazing away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the early 80s on Sunday morning Mrs. Hernandez would be up all night making tamales + sell them in the various stores in our little town. A dozen wrapped in foil in a beer flat by the check out register. When you went into town for a paper you had best get them quick because they went even faster. She finally quit doing it due to her age + the fact that the young Mexican girls didn't want to pick the hogs head. Too bad, a cultural loss. A Kid I had working for me then would wade in + scarf them down ( I paid for them so why not,right?) Then I told him what they were made from + he barfed. No more worries about him eating all my tamales.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the goats, I remember going into Georgetown frequently + in the Mexican side of town there were always signs, "Se venden cabras". They were great buried in a pit with coals. Having had goats in the early 70s, I had no pity on them; destructive beasts but very good eating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me its tripe and red, I had some munudo in Arizona that was creamy white and near gagged to death on it, nasty plus..

OH yeah I love Bar b Qued cabrito (milk fed just weaned) over Mesquite coals above ground, not crazy about that burried goat or pig, they taste boiled to me, not good!! MUst be complimented with pico de gallo, pinto beans, flour tortillas, fried Ocra, and what not..

Dad had about 150 to 200 head of wild spanish goats, and we ate a lot of them hunted them with 22 LR or any light rifle, and we kids loved hunting them so we ate lots of goat, trapped them and took them to the sales. You could park a trailer load fo kid goats in a vacant lot in any town in Texas and sell out faster than you could drag them out of the trailer..Back then they were $5.00 per head locally and $10. hauled to town..Today they fetch $100. Im told..You can buy a butchered elk or beef for what a goat costs, and nobody eats them up here??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I had tried a local favorite several decades that was stuffed pig stomach with sausage and potatoes inside. Only tried it once and it was very tasty and crispy outside.
How about you?

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boys and girls, you can have my share of "Menudo hoy!" You can also have all you want of the cheap little "chorizo" roles in the local grocery stores that are made of 100 percent ground lymph nodes. That's just wrong. barf

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the French eat snails + frogs.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Better than eating guts!
rotflmo rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
And the French eat snails + frogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now don't start on my chorizo. Another of my favorites.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Boys and girls, you can have my share of "Menudo hoy!" You can also have all you want of the cheap little "chorizo" roles in the local grocery stores that are made of 100 percent ground lymph nodes. That's just wrong. barf

Yup. Not my idea of cuisine either!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those of you that love menudo would also enjoy mondongo from Venezuela. https://www.tasteatlas.com/sopa-de-mondongo

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill try about anything once, and like most of it, my kids call me a coyote...Tripe Menduo is what I eat, never even heard of pork Menudo, but real menudo is pork stomach, so maybe the same with a differrent name..guts, never tried them short of sort prepared in Africa and it was good.

I ate burned black liver and some Marrow gut in Africa on more than one ocasion, forgot the name of it, and it was good and I normally don't care for liver other than with fried onions and drowned in ketchup...

liver, heart, kidneys, tripe in a deer stomach fulld of chili tomatos, salsa, spices,and burried in mesquite coals, at deer camp with paying deer hunters is a favorite until they see it in the campfire being served..They sometimes go back for more, other time politely say Im full and grab another beer or two!!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Who eats chitlin's?
To be blunt, I will not eat anything that tastes or smells like a fart unless it will keep me from starving to death.
barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must confess that in 1970 outside of Ft. Hood, Tx.in Harker Heights there was an old black man named Maurice that had a BBQ shop where everything was good but there I learned to eat chitlins. With hot pepper sauce they were hard to beat. But then again when I was in Europe in the early 60s I experienced escargo + found it fabulous. It's good to experience different tastes when one is young + not yet jaded by pre conceived notions about something they have never tryed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Who eats chitlin's?
To be blunt, I will not eat anything that tastes or smells like a fart unless it will keep me from starving to death.
barf

How were your eggs this morning? Smiler Big Grin Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Never tried escargot. But, I would. I first ate mussels about 8 years ago. Delicious, sweet and tender. Frogs legs, boring and near tasteless. Deep fried alligator nuggets were OK. Like a light fatty pork but with less flavor.

Chicken embryo's. Delicious!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Since Atkinson didn't reply to my other post,
I'll throw it in here.

How about possum, groundhog, racoon, nutria and pig ears 'n chicken foots?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I have eaten possum + racoon, just because I was curious. The former is way too greasy + the latter was not too bad served with sweet potatoes, although I would not want to make it a full time diet.
Hip, that reminds me of the one about the guy in the cafe ordering breakfast + the waitress asks him how he likes his eggs, + he replies with a grin, "I like them."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had racoon, woodchucks, woodchuck liver, frog legs, evening grosbeak (bird) and even shad roe and egg sandwiches for breakfasts (terrible) we used to try everything! Some Good---some Bad---some just OK!
Best I've had---is a nice young woman! Big Grin Eeker lol

Hip

P.S Thats disgusting!-----OH NO IT's NOT!!! Smiler Cool Big Grin

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU'RE DISGUSTING HIPSHOOT!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO I'M NOT !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES YOU ARE!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler Smiler Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jury rests with your own opinion. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hint: Pot is legal in NY state. Hah!
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Smiler Smiler Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ate burned black liver and some Marrow gut in Africa on more than one ocasion, forgot the name of it, and it was good

Skalpakkies! I love them! Minced sheep liver and kidney wrapped in that fat that sour rounds the stomach and grilled till the fat is crispy!!!!!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Hint: Pot is legal in NY state. Hah!
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Smiler Smiler Smiler

I don't smoke that stuff----just sniff really old socks! shame Whistling barf

Hip

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picky eaters here. Lot's of good stuff no one seems to like.

Only thing that gagged me was those little dried fishes in East Africa. But I ate them anyway.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Speaking of gagging - My Wife came home from work one day and told me that the cook at the cafeteria put lots of peas on the pizza! That's just wrong!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could never understand pineapple on a pizza either. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I had a friend in the A.C. service business that when he was working on a condenser outside he would catch grasshoppers, tear their legs off, discard the body + eat the legs; but then he really liked Limburger cheese too, especially when it was warm + runny. When we all ate in the lunch room we made him eat out on the loading dock. A great guy + one helluva service teck but there are some things you don't want to experience while trying to eat your lunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about PIZZA----I was up at West Point Military Academy in a pizza joint and there was a cadet eating pizza with a knife and fork!

I felt like giving him a smack in the back of the head like Gibbs does to Dinuzzo!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Love menudo and cabrito. Barbacoa as well. Also born and raised on the Rio.

Have had tripe soup in Africa, and it's good, but they cut the tripe in too large pieces for my taste.

me too. you could literally see the rio from my house, be there in 5 minutes or less. but i refuse to eat assholes and elbows and pieces of shit chutes! tell ya what all you menudo eaters, you butcher the cow, keep all the guts and nose, and save the ribs and steaks and hamburger for me. menudo IS traditional cure for hangovers though. cause about 2 minutes after you eat it you are heaving all over the floor. that craps disgusting.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John C

sissy ! jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120