Find
Notify
Tools

Need Ox Tail Soup Recipe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
On safari we had Ox Tail Soup made out of the tail of Cape Buffalo. It was great. Just bought some beef "Ox Tails" and I'm looking for a recipe. Can anybody help?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have a great one. I'll have to look it up then i'll post it here.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most flavorful parts of animals are the shanks and tail ,but the least tender. Try this;separate the tail at the joints. Flour and brown in hot oil. Add one cup of red wine. Add chopped onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms, tomato, salt pepper,parsley.Add water if needed,just to cover.Simmer, this will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours till the meat starts to fall off the bone.Serve with smashed potatoes. Enjoy !!!

<mod 12>
posted
The wife made ox tail soup the other night using the recipe from Joy of Cooking c.1972 and it was first rate. It didn't have spuds in it and would have like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
try this:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...fermn_topic2499.html

This photo doesn't really do it justice ~ the meal was absolutely delicious....

I tried another style of oxtails this year that is based on a Pamplona recipe in Navarra, and it was REALLY good ~ will post on it when I get it all written up and ready to go.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rule #1: Get a pressure cooker.
Rule #2: Brown the meat (read caramelize) in beef fat.
Rule #3: Cook it at least 45 minutes at 15 psi with beef broth, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper plus desired root veggies ( ie. potatoes, carrots,parsnips,fennel etc.).
Rule #4: Serve over long grained rice, wash down with a good Merlot, and thank God you live on this planet.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Rule #1: Get a pressure cooker.
Rule #2: Brown the meat (read caramelize) in beef fat.
Rule #3: Cook it at least 45 minutes at 15 psi with beef broth, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper plus desired root veggies ( ie. potatoes, carrots,parsnips,fennel etc.).
Rule #4: Serve over long grained rice, wash down with a good Merlot, and thank God you live on this planet.

Rule #5: Make enough to feed the NSA boys who show up because you bought a pressure cooker.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's not only funny, but the pics above it are mouth watering, as usual! I have had buffalo and giraffe tail soup, along with ox tail soup here in the States over the years and love all of it!!! Keep the recipes coming! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it ox-tail soup has more liquid than ox-tail stew which to me is better. In any case it's braised ox-tail.
IF you serve braised ox-tail or shanks to guests be carefull if you have fillet minion guests the flavor will be overpowering to them !! I warn them - " It's full of flavor " !!