New
Find
Notify
Tools

deer fat content
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can anyone on here tell me how many grams of fat is in deer meat for sure? my wife is on a strict low fat or no fat diet because of her pancrease.i have some iowa deer meat and we gotta know if it's safe for her to eat it.

thanx in advance i appreciate all help on this it's very important that we know.

one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
tasco 74: I cut and pasted the following from Field and Stream. Hope it helps and I'll see what else I can find.

"Q: How much blood does a typical deer have? What's the fat content of deer meat? --M.

A: According to Leonard Lee Rue III's excellent book The Deer of North America (reprinted by the Lyons Press in 1997), a veterinarian at the University of Pennsylvania calculated that deer have an ounce of blood for each pound of body weight. So a 160-pound deer would have about 5 quarts of blood (there are 32 ounces in a quart).

Fat content varies depending on the cut and the deer, but because most deer fat is on the outside of the muscles, rather than marbled into the meat as in cattle, trimmed cuts are very low in fat. The book White-tailed Deer: Ecology and Management, from the Wildlife Management Institute (Stackpole, 1984), lists various 3.5-ounce cuts of meat and their cooked nutritional contents:

Approximate grams of fat per 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of meat:

Broiled venison steak: 6.4
Broiled beef T-bone steak: 15.4
Broiled chicken and turkey: 7.3
Roast venison: 2.2
Beef rib roast: 2.9
Roast ham: 4.1
Lamb chop: 4.8 "

[ 07-11-2003, 15:11: Message edited by: British ]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Game , in general has low fat and is excellent for those on low fat diets. Visible fat may be easily trimmed off.Cook it till it's still a bit pink in the center for steaks or chops, other cuts may be braised or stewed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
THANX BRITISH AND METE. WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS GROUND DEER MEAT. I SUPPOSE IT HAS MORE FAT THAN A STEAK OR CHOP BECAUSE THEY PROLLY WOULDN'T USE THE LEANER CUTS TO GRIND INTO BURGER.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
. . .WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS GROUND DEER MEAT. I SUPPOSE IT HAS MORE FAT THAN A STEAK OR CHOP BECAUSE THEY PROLLY WOULDN'T USE THE LEANER CUTS TO GRIND INTO BURGER. . .

Not only that, but butchers often add beef fat or pork fat to make up for the "dry" (low-fat) nature of venison.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eshell is right .Don't use the ground venison unless you know exactly what's in it. If it's pure venison then check a previous posting of mine where I give a recipe for bolognese sauce ,a great meat sauce for pasta.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checking the nutritional books,

Venison is one of the best meat sources for protein, lowest in fat, but tends to be higher than beef in cholesterol. And from what I remember, it is much higher. But, the way I figure, I like venison just as much if not more than beef, so cholesterol here I come. Just need to keep active!

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the info about cholesterol is BS. Only 25-30% of the cholesterol in your system comes from your food, the rest is manufactured by your body. It is absolutely essential, your body uses it to make hormones .

posted Hide Post
Mete is definately correct on that one

Besides some cholestrols are good (HDL) and some are bad (LDL)

Venison has one of the lowest fat concentrates of any protein. But as most have said, stay away from the minced stuff unless u ground it yourself cos they will add all sorts of stuff that your wife would definately prefer not to be eating!

Jo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wants to be out hunting if the day has a 'y' in it [Wink]

Posts: 20 | Location: Devon, England | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote