Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tried grasshoppers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here tried grasshoppers?
They are a pretty common thing to eat in some of the southern Mexican states, especially in Oaxaca. They are normally seasoned with garlic and lime. But last year during my 6 month paid vacation in Kosovo like 10 guys form my platoon and I found ourselves with a little too much free time so we decided to try and cook some. We had neither lime nor garlic but the spices and salt we found on our MREs did the trick. The easiest way to catch them is with a fine net. Two people hold one extreme of the net and just walk in a grass field.
After you have gathered the required amount is is necessary to leave then inside the net ot in some other container to “empty†themselves, apparently the produce some nasty tasting liquid when the feel attacked, I am not sure if it is excrement but if you wait for a few hours or even better overnight they should “empty themselvesâ€. Next you boil them until they get a dark red color (like when you boil a lobster) you discard the water and wash them once, then add a little more water with the spices and salt (or garlic, lime, salt and sometimes a little chili if u want then the traditional way) and let them boil until most of the water has evaporated. Then they are ready to eat. The look pretty nasty but taste ok (as good as the spices you used) and they are fat free and full of proteins.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, to each his own, but's that's disgusting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten a lot of fish that bite well on grasshoppers. I think that is their best use.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your recipe is WAY TOO INVOLVED !!!

The best way to cook 'hoppers is after pulling the head off(this removes the nasty entrails and spit)skewer the body cavity onto a stick of equal size and then roast over fire until the "spindley" part of the legs burns off. Eat while hot. Spices not necessary-taste like chicken. Any questions?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Only the legs and thighs.... hammering

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
I have the same recipe but in mine after the part where they turn red like a lobstar you throw them in the garbage and order a pizza! dancing

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten them but not by choice. My recipe is this.
Make plans to go to Sturgis in Aug. When riding through Eastern MT. Run H-D Roadking up to highway speed. Then open mouth to yell something to the guy riding next to you. You will always get a hopper to the face at this piont. Murphys Law applies!
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've eaten them while visiting Oaxaca. They're called chapulines. Excellent, especially with the local beer. When buying them in el mercado, make sure they didn't use a lead cooking pot.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we were kids we use to fry them with butter and salt. Not bad but haven't done it in over 40 years.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I've eaten them while visiting Oaxaca. They're called chapulines. Excellent, especially with the local beer. When buying them in el mercado, make sure they didn't use a lead cooking pot.

What do they taste like?

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
You can eat a lot of things that will keep you alive but would not be eaten by choice - watch the 'Survivorman' series. In survival school we caught the big guys, size of my little finger and speckled wings, pulled off the heads and guts, then roasted them over coals. They did not taste all that bad, I didn't die from eating them but I have not had them - or any desire to have them - since. 'nuf said?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
adrook: What do they taste like?

The Mexicans cook them in oils and various chilies. They really don't have a taste, just the oil & pepper is what you taste, crunchy style. Basically a bar food, like chips & salsa, best with alcohol. You can google chapulines and get the recipe.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote