Notify
Tools

Carrot Pineapple Cake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Carrot Pineapple Cake

Makes 1 Loaf or 12 Muffins
I came across this recipe before Christopher's 1st birthday. I made it for him on his actual b-day but Cody insisted that I buy a "real" cake for his party. Christopher gobbled up the carrot-pineapple cake but would not touch the "real" cake. At one point I managed to get some in his mouth for a photo op and he gagged on it. Cody now believes in the powers of this cake Wink

Ingredients

1 ½ C Whole Wheat Flour
* I recommend white whole wheat flour [King Arthur Brand has one] or whole wheat pastry flour if
you can find it.
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Salt
2 eggs
½ C Vegetable Oil
½ C Brown Sugar or Sucanant (Can Use Less)
½ C Honey (can use less)
1 ½ C Finely Grated Carrots (About 4 Large/1 lb.)
1- 8 oz Can of Crushed Pineapple, Packed in Its Own Juice, Undrained
½ C Chopped Walnuts (optional)

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a large bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the oil, then blend in the sugar and honey. In a third bowl, combine the carrots, pineapple with its juice, and walnuts, if you are using them. Beat the egg-oil mixture into the dry ingredients. When well blended, stir in the carrot-pineapple mixture. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and bake on the middle shelf of the oven on 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes, or until the cake is risen and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out dry. For muffins 20-25 minutes at 37f degrees. If you want to use this as a birthday cake use one of the icing recipes found on pg. 346 of Super Baby Food. If you want to make this in a traditional cake shape just use a different pan but you will probably need to adjust the cooking time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote