Tools

Oh Great !
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Barbecue Linked To Prostate Cancer
April 2, 2006 (Rueters)

A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats, researchers reported on Sunday.

Their study, presented at a meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, may help explain the link between eating meat and a higher risk of prostate cancer.

It also fits in with other studies suggesting that cooking meat until it chars might cause cancer.

The compound, called PhIP, is formed when meat is cooked at very high temperatures, Dr. Angelo De Marzo and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore reported.

It appears to both initiate and promote the growth of prostate cancer in rats, they said.

"We stumbled across a new potential interaction between ingestion of cooked meat in the diet and cancer in the rat," De Marzo said in a statement.

"For humans, the biggest problem is that it's extremely difficult to tell how much PhIP you've ingested, since different amounts are formed depending on cooking conditions."

For the study, Yatsutomo Nakai and other members of De Marzo's team mixed PhIP into food given to rats for up to eight weeks, then studied the animals' prostates, intestines and spleens. They found genetic mutations in all the organs after four weeks.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's old news. We've been charring flesh for thousands of years...........don't worry have a beer.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef's got it!!

The way I read this is don't eat a barbecued rat's ass, intestines or spleen.....wasn't going to anyway!!!

Now pig is another story!! Pig fat rules!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Barbecue Linked To Prostate Cancer
April 2, 2006 (Rueters)

A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats, researchers reported on Sunday.

When I think of bar-b-que I think more of smoked brisket,ribs and sausage.So whats wrong with slow smoking at lower temps.?That give rats lung cancer from the smoke?

And when did rats begin to char meat?Fucking yuppy rats showing off eating French cheeses charring ribeyes drinking bordeaux enjoying the good life.

Any rat thats eating that much charred meat probly has good health care.I'm sure that with early detection and treatment the survival rate is good for those rats.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The biggest environmental risk factor for prostate cancer is a high fat diet.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Washed down with a pint or two of Guinness should solve the problem. A rat covered with that amount of stout would not only perish, his prostrate problems would be over. beer

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a stress test today...sticky monitor things on the chest and blood pressure cuff on the right arm, cute nurse, bitchy tech that ran the test....results...slightly abnormal but nothing to worry about after 57 years of eating pig fat, charred animal flesh and 3 fingers of scotch 2 or 3 nights a week. I'll take it!! Maybe at 114 years old I'll be concerned.

I had a prostate check a few weeks ago and while I didn't enjoy it, it was smooth and normal. I'm eating a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs for breakfast!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote