New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiled Game stew
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there have been a million (well maybe not that many) Game Stew recipes on this site. I thought this one, from the January 4th edition of Outdoor News, looked good. So I tried it and it was damn good. This recipe will easily feed 5 adults with a bit leftover, so if your making it for two make sure you halve everything

You need:
4 pounds boneless chuck or roast (deer, elk, moose, etc.)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups beef broth
3 cups vegitable bouillon stock
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup port wine
2 medium onions chopped
1 cup of carrots sliced
1 cup of celery sliced
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon of chopped fresh rosemary
4 garlic cloves chopped
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
kosher salt and pepper to taste (plus a little bit of each in the dredging flour)
2 - 3 cups of cubed potatoes
1 cup of sliced Porcini or button mushrooms

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees
trim your meat to bite size pieces and dreg in the flour mixture (flour, salt, and pepper) Add oil to frying pan and brown meat on all sides on high heat. remove meat from heat and place into a large dutch oven (or whatever you usually use to make stew, but make sure it can go in the oven)

Mix up all of the other ingredients, except the potatoes, mushrooms and finished stock. Please all ingredients in the dutch oven with the browned meat.

In the same pan that you browned the meat, add both wines and cook on medium until reduced to about half. then add the broth and stock and cook for a few more minutes. Pout this mixture into the dutch oven with the other ingredients that are already in there.

Cover and place in oven for between 4 and 6 hours at 275. Check at the end of 4 hours. You want meat to be tender enough to cut with a fork.

Then add the potatoes and mushroom and cook an additional 2 hours. Your done.

If it looks a little bit dry, you can fold in a bit more broth to help it out.

Serve with a green salad and a few slices of crusty bread, and the drink of your choice (I like Coors beer with this)

Head on down to the freezer, take out all of the new stuff on top, and find that last piece of roast venison from last year. dig it out of there, thaw it out, and make this stew. It tastes great, and almost everybody will eat it.

By the way, make sure to trim the meat of any large pieces of fat that would make the meat taste gamey. Also, I used dried spices. Probably better to use fresh as called for in the recipe. But still pretty good with the dried spices.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious for a cold January evening meal.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Does'nt it just! From south of the Mason/Dixon line I will say to forget about the bread + make a pan of cornbread;then you've got a heavenly meal +damned fine on a cold winter night.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote