New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: corned deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks. I'll try this with some meat I have in the freezer. Last time I tried it I used tender quick or something like that and no spices. It came out edible but tasteless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried making corned deer a few years back, but it came out kind of bland. I love corned beef, but my corned deer didn't come close. Does anyone know of a good recipe/process for corning deer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This recipe is very full flavored.This amount of corning liquid is sufficient for 6-8 lbs of venison meat. Try to use meat that is about 2" thick. Cut in half if required. Thicker cuts will not cure as quickly.

Traditional Corned Venison
Mix together:
4 quarts water
3 tblsp brown sugar
3 cloves garlic
2 cups salt
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
10 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 dried red chili,crushed
1 tblsp hot horseradish

Place in a 3 gallon crock and add meat.Weigh meat down with overturned plate,putting a rock on top of the plate to keep the meat submerged if necessary.Place crock in a spare refrigerator or other cool place that is no warmer than 45 degrees F for 10 days.Do not let it freeze.

Rinse meat under running cool water briefly. Proceed as you would normally for corned beef.

Good Luck.

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote