Find
Notify
Tools

Any sausage makers in the group?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have a bunch of ground pork and believe it is the year I learn to make sausage. I will start with breakfast sausage and looking for recipes or good commercial mixes you would recommend. I'm not into super spicy/hot seasonings.

I began reviewing some recipes last evening while sitting in front of the tube. Some ingredients kind of surprised me. Some are things you would think of in say, pie.

I prefer links but have never stuffed casings. Sure like natural cases for sausage links. Is it hard to stuff them?

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann, I like and use sausage seasonings and casings from LEM Products. Their breakfast blend is a nice mild all-purpose mix for both pan sausage and links. I recently used their chorizo mix for a javelina I killed and it turned out pretty nice.

I don't stuff casings a lot, but I'll offer what I know. First, for larger sausages like summer sausage, I like 1.5-2" diameter fibrous casings. These are 12-18" long and I stuff them manually with a casing stuffer. For smaller sausages like bratwurts and breakfast links, I like natural casings, either sheep (small for breakfast) or hog (a bit larger for bratwurst/smoked sausage). These I stuff with a 5-pound rotary crank stuffer that I also got from LEM. I tried stuffing with an electric grinder and quickly decided it's just too powerful. I like to regulate stuffing more closely and the manual versions allow that. Using that rotary crank stuffer is pretty straightforward. I don't think you'd have any issues learning it. It's a shame we're not closer geographically; I'd be happy to loan you mine for a while to play with.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check their sausage mix up and look into a crank stuffer. I have old some manual meat grinders around here and should check to see if there is some sausage stuffing equipment with them.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Ann, I like and use sausage seasonings and casings from LEM Products.

Yep! tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eager to follow you down this path, Ann. Always wanted to try it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I've been watching some Scott Rea videos and getting real inspired. This morning I watched how he makes rusks for the traditional 'banger'.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
A.C. Legg old plantation seasonings.
We make our own patties and links plus we make and can our own spam and a ground meat bacon
Coues
DS

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a couple of different sausage spice mixes, Andouille and Sweet Italian, from thesausagemaker.com but have yet to make any sausage yet, will convey results when done. Have heard decent things about LEM products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For breakfast sausage, I usually add a bit more sage and some red pepper flakes. Personal preference.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still in the research stage but am learning. I found that I do have attachments with my electric grinder for stuffing sausage casings.

I am interested in using natural casings and have been rather surprised at the reviews I have seen for sheep casings smelling bad. Now I am afraid to use them.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
if the casings get damp in storage they will smell. Dont keep them too long , dont buy big quantities at a time

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these recipes...

Homemade Italian Sausages
Ingredients
3 lbs pork shoulder (Boston Butt) preferably boneless
4 cloves garlic minced
1 oz kosher salt
2 TBS whole fennel seeds
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp marjoram
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp dried mustard
¼ tsp allspice
2 TBS cold water
sausage casings soaked in water

Directions
Cut pork shoulder into cubes that will fit in the meat grinder. Place in a bowl and refrigerate.

In a mortar add fennel, black pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt. Bruise spices lightly with a pestle to release the flavors. Add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, oregano, marjoram, coriander, mustard, allspice, and a splash of water. Stir to combine.

Add spice past to the pork cubes. It helps to wear gloves. Mix thoroughly by hand. Add the remaining salt.

Process the cold pork through a meat grinder.

Using a sausage stuffer fill the casing with meat.

Place filled casings on a tray and refrigerate uncovered overnight.

Notes
Use the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer with meat grinding attachment and medium grinding disc. Do not forget to put the cutting head in the grinder.

Use the Lem 5 lb Sausage Stuffer with the largest size casing tube.

Mix 1 oz of water per 1 lb of ground pork to make the sausage stuffer work smoothly.

Coat the inside of the sausage stuff hopper with a light coating of olive oil.

Clean the salt off the casings. Run water through them to clean the inside. Then soak in warm water for 20 minutes.

Turkey Breakfast Sausage
Ingredients
2 pounds ground turkey
1 TBP brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp ground sage
1 ½ tsp ground thyme
½ tsp dried marjoram
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp crushed fennel

Directions
Mix turkey, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, sage, thyme, marjoram, red pepper flakes and fennel in a bowl. Shape turkey mixture into patties. You can freeze the patties and keep for about 4 months.

Cooking
Fry patties in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 6 to 8 minutes.

Pork Breakfast Sausage
Note: This isn't as good as the Breakfast Turkey Sausage recipe.

Ingredients
2 pounds ground pork
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp dried marjoram
1 TBS brown sugar
⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch ground cloves
½ tsp crushed fennel

Directions
In a large bowl combine the ground pork, sage, salt, ground black pepper, marjoram, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, cloves and fennel. Mix well with your hands and form into patties. It helps to wear gloves. The patties can be frozen for up to 4 months.

Cooking
Saute the patties in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes per side, or until internal pork temperature reaches 160 degrees F.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Make things simple and easy to start with.

Get AC Legg bratwurst seasoning and their maple breakfast sausage mix.

DO NOT use casings! Brats on a decent hamburger bun are as good as any. Just vacuum pack meal size portions. DO NOT mix meats to start with. Just use pork shoulder.

Mix a little real maple syrup into the breakfast sausage.

After a couple batches of those you are ready to start expanding your horizons

Do not use water in the mix or you'll go straight to hell without passing go, USE BEER.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys!

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell!

Sausages!

Never had any.

Never will.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bloody hell!

Sausages!

Never had any.

Never will.

rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can eat some sausage.

However, I’ll say the sausage/brats I ate in South Africa, on several occasions, just about cured me from wanting to eat them ever again Smiler

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Bloody hell!

Sausages!

Never had any.

Never will.

Not surprised, Saeed, but then again, you like your food burnt. That says a lot. clap

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Just need a few supplies now. I may venture out to procure some today.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Bloody hell!

Sausages!

Never had any.

Never will.

Not surprised, Saeed, but then again, you like your food burnt. That says a lot. clap

The evolvement of humans Ann.

You like to be in the Stone Age.

The discovery of fire helped improve human brains.

You might try eating properly cooked meat! clap

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bloody hell!

Sausages!

Never had any.

Never will.

The evolvement of humans Ann.

You like to be in the Stone Age.

The discovery of fire helped improve human brains.

You might try eating properly cooked meat! clap

No burnt offerings for me. Now that there is before the stone age. pissers

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Story of a sausage.

Two Irish men immigrated to New York.

They saw a sign for HOT DIGS!

One said to the other “core blimey! The bloody Yanks eat DOGS!”

The other said “shut up! We are going to live here. We will eat whatever they eat. I am going to buy us two dogs!”

He did, and off they went to sit on a bench in the park.

Paddy was not too sure about this dog eating business!

He unwraps his dog and looks inside.

They says to his friend “core blimey! Which part of the dog did YOU get?”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Story of a sausage.

Two Irish men immigrated to New York.

They saw a sign for HOT DIGS!

One said to the other “core blimey! The bloody Yanks eat DOGS!”

The other said “shut up! We are going to live here. We will eat whatever they eat. I am going to buy us two dogs!”

He did, and off they went to sit on a bench in the park.

Paddy was not too sure about this dog eating business!

He unwraps his dog and looks inside.

They says to his friend “core blimey! Which part of the dog did YOU get?”

Ha ha ha ha rotflmo

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, Saeed, that was funny.

I put a good one on the Crater. I bet even Saeed will like that one. BTW- Saeed, you can use 'sausage' seasoning with any ground meats. While the pork tends to make it what it is, you could use beef or maybe camel? Do camel have fat like sheep or is it more like beef? I would not use certain animals for the 'fatty' portion of the sausage recipe due to the more waxy nature of their fat composition. Anyway, I will incorporate a lot of venison into what I make.

I picked up some AC Legg breakfast sausage seasoning today but none of the local stores had casings or other supplies in stock. Nothing but dust on the shelves. Nothing but shotguns and one 6.5 creedmore somethingorother in the gun racks either. Very boring.

I have some good reading ahead of me:

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you could use beef or maybe camel?

Eeker Eeker rotflmo

Here's your camel sausages-Certified Halal and all! https://www.exoticmeatmarkets....e-for-sale-s/744.htm

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I eat proper meat.

My wife thinks nothing bothers me because I eat my steak DEAD!

When I cook steak, it remains flat when I pick it with a fork.

If it bends it is not ready yet!

I add lots of lime or lemon juice.

Lots of Tabasco and some soy sauce.

She actually believes mosquitoes bite me no drop dead!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, is overcooked meat normal for your culture or just something you prefer?

I found a beef ribeye roast well marked down yesterday at the supermarket. I will cut it into 1 inch or better thick steaks for the grill. First beef I will have had in a year. I will grill one steak tonight and put the rest up in the freezer. I can assure you it will still be mooing when I cut into that meat tonight.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
you could use beef or maybe camel?

Eeker Eeker rotflmo

Here's your camel sausages-Certified Halal and all! https://www.exoticmeatmarkets....e-for-sale-s/744.htm

Wow. I had a look at that site. You can get a whole possum for just $200. Sick!

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed, is overcooked meat normal for your culture or just something you prefer?

I found a beef ribeye roast well marked down yesterday at the supermarket. I will cut it into 1 inch or better thick steaks for the grill. First beef I will have had in a year. I will grill one steak tonight and put the rest up in the freezer. I can assure you it will still be mooing when I cut into that meat tonight.

Older generation always ate meat well cooked.

Some of the young like it different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. I enjoy learning about other cultures and now know if I were to ever have guests from UAE I would provide well done meat for them.

Anyway, back to the sausages. I have not been able to find high temperature cheese or casings locally so I will have to order off the 'net.

~Ann