New
Find
Notify
Tools

carbonade flamande
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
when i began my research for this, i ran into a lot of crossover between french and belgian cuisine. this makes sense, for belgium is the bridge between the north-east region of france and north-west germany. wiki listed carbonnade de boeuf (beef stewed in beer) as a hallmark of the cuisine in the nord-pas-de-calais (artois, flanders, hainaut) and picardie regions. in belgium, the dish is called carbonade flamande. wiki's description is virtually an exact enumeration of the components for the french version:

quote:
A carbonade flamande[1] (or à la flamande[2]), in Dutch Vlaamse Stoverij or Vlaamse stoofkarbonade, is a traditional Belgian sweet-sour beef and onion stew made with beer, and seasoned with thyme and bay.

The type of beer used is important, and traditionally an Oud bruin, Brune Abbey beer or Flanders red is the beer of choice with a somewhat bitter-sour flavour.[3] In addition to this and to enhance the sweet-sour flavour, just before serving, it has a small amount of cider or wine vinegar and either brown sugar or red currant jelly stirred in.[4][3]
It is often accompanied by frites or boiled potatoes.[5][3]

The term carbonade may also refer to a dish of grilled pork loin and certain beef stews cooked with red wine such as Beef bourguignon in the south of France[6], but is more commonly associated with the Belgian dish.

here's the recipe:

quote:

Carbonade Flamande

Ron’s Notes: This is a very old, very basic, farmers dish from the region where Belgium, France and Germany come together in northern Europe. It is plain, rustic fare that is in keeping with the people and their ways - farming, beer making, not much time for fuss and frivolity. Very simple, yet very good! You can make this entirely in a Dutch oven, or you can do all the prep work in other pans and then braise it in a Dutch oven or earthenware crock.

You Will Need:

Butter and/or extra virgin olive oil for frying
4 to 5 large onions
3 to 4 pounds beef chuck, bottom round or other cheap cut of beef
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
6 to 10 cloves garlic
1 tbsp dried thyme, or 2 tbsp fresh thyme
4 to 5 bay leaves
3 to 4 beef bullion cubes, to taste
Sea salt and Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
2 bottles Belgian-style beer

Prep Work: Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Slice onions thickly (perhaps 1/2 inch) into disks. Trim of most of the fat from beef and cut into approximately 3-inch by 2-inch chunks. Measure out flour into a bowl or cup. Pour 2/3 cup of red wine vinegar into a bowl or cup and de-cap beer bottles. Crush and peel garlic cloves and put them into a bowl with the thyme, bay leaves, bullion cubes, salt and pepper. Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil in a wide skillet or sauté pan to high, but back off a bit of it starts to burn. Alternately, this recipe can be made entirely within a cast-iron Dutch oven.

Summary: Toss onions into pan and sprinkle a bit of salt on them to help release moisture. Sauté until slightly-browned and caramelized on both sides; if the disks come apart into rings, don't worry, but try to keep them whole. Remove from heat and place half of the onions in the bottom of an earthenware crock, reserving the remainder. If using Dutch oven, simply put the onions in another container and set aside for now.

Add a bit more butter and/or olive oil to the pan. When hot, add meat and sear on all sides, it will take some time to cook the moisture down; stick with it! Just when you are about to give up, the real majority of the moisture will get cooked out and the meat will get well-browned on all sides. Place meat on top of the bottom layer of onions and sprinkle the flour over the meat. If using Dutch oven, put meat in a container and set aside for now.

De-glaze the pan or Dutch oven with the red wine vinegar, stirring well to lift all the brown bits from the pan. When the vinegar has reduced down to a thick, caramelized liquid, drizzle it over the beef in the crock. If using Dutch oven, remove from heat, place half the onions on the bottom and stir them around to mix with the deglazed liquid, then place meat on top of the onions. Sprinkle the flour over all, along with the garlic, thyme, bay leaves, bullion cubes, salt and pepper. Spread remaining onions on top and pour in the two bottles of beer.

Cover crock or Dutch oven and place in oven at 325 degrees for half an hour, then reduce heat to 300 degrees for two-and-a-half hours.

Remove from the oven and remove the cover. Sauce should thicken while standing. If necessary, heat uncovered until it thickens to desired consistency. Carbonade Flamande should be thick and rich, like a stew or gravy. Serve with potatoes cooked your favorite way and your favorite vegetable. Don’t forget to have some sliced, crusty warm bread for sopping up the sauce!

and here's the method. it's very easy to make with the simplest of ingredients:

since then, i have tried versions using white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar with a little brown sugar added, different beers, antelope rather than beef, etc. all have been very good, and the basic method is the same.

brown onions and set aside:

sear beef until well-browned and all moisture has been cooked out:

deglaze with wine or balsamic vinegar, layer beef and other ingredients above and below the previously-carmelized onions, add beer as a braising liquid:

cover and braise low-and-slow in the oven until the meat is fall-apart tender:

and the gravy makes a perfect sauce for the meat and whatever you serve it with (mashed or roasted potatoes seem to work best):

more details on the history and origins of this dish as well as preparation tips and results from people who have tried it can be found by following this link:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...amande_topic274.html

this is regional peasant eating at its finest, and similar versions with only minor variations can be found all over europe. if anyone tries this, i'd love to hear about results.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tasunkawitko,

I tried making the carbonade yesterday, improvising with a tbsp of Italian herbs in replacement of thyme and a mix of black vinegar & water instead of the red wine vinegar. After 3hrs in the oven, the meat was melt-in-your mouth and the gravy delightfully smothered each mouthful with the flavour of Hoegaarden's wheat beer. beer My kids & wife loved it as well, so guess what they have asked me to prepare for our New Year celebrations! Wink

Thanks for the delightful recipe.

Coastliner

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, coastliner - glad that you and your family enjoyed it! this is one of the easiest and ;east-complicated recipes a person could ask for and as you found put it provides fantastic bang for the buck. it is ver versatile as well, and your improvisations can tailor it into a feast that is all your own.

plenty more where that came from; feel free to visit http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/ any time to find some more good stuff!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I've got a batch of this cooking right now.

Question - Do you cook the onions in batches? the beef?

My onions really turned to mush without caramelizing when I tried to cook all of them at one time. The beef had a ton of liquid that took a long time to cook out before I could get any browning.

I was using a large chicken fryer pan and I think it would have worked better in batches.

I will say that it smells outstanding.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, DLA -

regarding the onions, cooking in batches does help, especially when trying to keep the "disks" from falling apart. when you describe them going mushy, i think you might also want to have the heat up just a little more as well. a large, heavy pan, such as cast iron or heavy copper-bottomed stainless steel, both work very well in this regard. lately, i've gotten in the habit of doing it all in a dutch oven, but either way will work.

and yep, the liquid will take a long time to cook out - just keep stirring now and then until it is all gone and you are left with that thick, rich, dark goodness that clings to the meat and sears on the pan to develop some great flavours!

the only other thing i can think of is that you when it gets close to suppertime, you may want to uncover whatever you are cooking it in so that it can thicken up, if it needs to. sometimes it needs a little help to thicken up and sometimes it doesn't.

glad that you're liking it so far - i don't think the experience with the onions will ruin anything but my comments above might provide a little guidance for next time, and i am sure there will be a next time as this stuff is outstanding!

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional information.

I had thought of using more heat for the onions when I was cooking them.

The dish turned out very well. I used your advice and served it over mashed potatoes. We also served a loaf of warm, home-made bread. It was a great meal.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
served it over mashed potatoes. We also served a loaf of warm, home-made bread.

that is the best way i can think of serving this meal - very good stuff and glad you liked it!

keep your eyes on the FOTW forum - i've got a similar-yet-entirely-different project coming up soon that might be worth a look!

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
keep your eyes on the FOTW forum - i've got a similar-yet-entirely-different project coming up soon that might be worth a look!

will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope no one minds yet another carbonade post, but it all honesty, I never get tired of this wonderful stew. It has to be hands-down one of the best things in life, and has become a family favourite. Being simple and easy to prepare is only an added bonus to this humble, nutritious, delicious peasant meal.

For this preparation, I tried a couple of different things, and also incorporated a few concepts discussed in our many conversations on this subject. The first was a happy accident; I had wanted to try using some glace de viande that I had made a while ago:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...avour_topic2482.html

Unfortunately, I discovered that the kids had used all of it before I could even really give it a try - time to make some more, I guess!

Luckily, I had a "Plan B;" some time ago, I received this through a promotion on the company's Facebook page:

I had used the beef and chicken varieties before, with very good results, and was expecting wonderful things with the "new" vegetable flavour, which as far as I can tell is not yet available in my area.

My primary goal for this preparation, however, was to use a "new" (to me) beer, from Great Northern Brewing in Whitefish, Montana:

http://www.greatnorthernbrewing.com/

This wheat beer features a well-known Montana product:

I was really looking forward to trying it, hoping that it would add something just a little special to the final product.

Anyway, ready to get going, I peeled and cut my onions, then prepared the garlic, summer savory (in place of thyme) and bay leaves for their duties:

For the beef, I was delighted to be able to use a magnificent-looking, locally-grown-and-processed roast:

Our Montana beef is always a treat to use, thanks to its very good flavour.

I cut the roast into large "stew cubes" for braising:

And then watched as the batteries in my camera died - with no way to get more.

So that's the end of the pictures, but not the end of the story. I prepared the carbonade in my Tramontina enameled cast iron Dutch oven:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tram...-Dutch-Oven/11989387

The method used was basically as outlined in the opening post here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...amande_topic274.html

I also tried incorporating a few concepts and methods that came about as a result of the subsequent conversation, including:

Searing the beef in batches
Using white wine vinegar rather than red wine
Adding a little Dijon mustard, spread liberally the halves of a stale sourdough roll:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...rolls_topic1178.html
Finally, I also added a bit of dark chocolate, just as the carbonade was finished.

Results were amazing, everything came together very well. The star of the dish - my Montana beef - was fork-tender and mouth-watering, a perfect canvas for the rest of the flavours of the dark, rich, thick stew, which was served over home-made garlic mashed potatoes. I was especially pleased with the use of the vegetable base and the huckleberry beer; each contributed their unique characteristics to the final flavour of the dish without taking over.

All-in-all, another carbonade success! My only question to those who haven't tried this easy, delicious stew is, "Why not?"