New
Find
Notify
Tools

wild hog ham help...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
got a whole ham roast off a wild hog I busted last winter and was gonna give a try smoking it, but I need suggestions as I have never attempted this before...HELP!!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has been frozen it's too late !!Smoke before freezing not after [ meat will be dried out]!!...When you do it for the first time it might be better to learn with smaller pieces.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Call your local Rabbi!!!!! shame or, leave it at a mosque. jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is freezer burned, give it to your dog. If not, you can coat it with a mixture of cajun mustard and black current jelly/jam. Then wrap with Saran wrap and then with Aluminum foil. Bake @ 350 for one hour for each pound. Remove and let set for 20 minutes. You can pour off juices and add this to a pan of floured onions you browned in butter which will be your serving sauce. The rest of the menu is up to you. And by the way, the Saran wrap will just slide off and the ham will be quite juicy. Yum.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had my dinner - Smoked wild boar hocks, simmered with white beans, chopped onion, celery and carrot.Feeling fine now ! dancing