Find
Notify
Tools

Please id some 12 ga hulls.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HeftyLefty
posted
I have read some on the different hulls and I understand that you can use the Remington Nitro 27, the STS, and Gun club hulls in the same load recipes. But I haven't seen anything on some hulls I have. I may not have looked hard enough but I'm sure someone can help me. I have some solid black remington hulls with no letters on them. I also have some Remington hulls that say Sport Load. I have Some Rio hulls that are High based in brilliant blue and green. I have some of the old gray winchester AA hulls and I know how to load them. I have some Red AA hulls and I'm assuming they load the same way as the gray ones. I have the new AA HS hulls and I'm told that they are harder to load and or wont crimp well ( i forget which) but if you do load them or know how they will last longer and are made better. Most of my info is from local reloaders and they may or may not be yanking my chain. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Josh

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police."
---Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938

Posts: 28 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you have the old "Mohawk" hulls made by Remmington. These were usually low brass hulls, most with 8 point crimp but some with 6 point that were loaded as light game loads in 1 oz. or 1 14 oz. They were decent hulls and my letter from Remmington back in the 70's/80's stated that they were comparable to the RPS hull and that I could use the same reloading data.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Remington Gun Club hulls are green, Remington Game load hulls are black. Cut one open and double check to see if it's a one piece hull. I have a couple of thousand stashed of the black ones, they load great.

All 12g. AA's use the same recipe. I find that the red ones (new) don't last as long, but they go through the reloader like grass through a goose. Just lower your crimp starter a little, and make sure your wad pressure is high enough so you aren't compressing the payload in the crimp station. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington made the Mohawk black field hulls with fiber base wads that didn't hold up well in reloading the base wads would disintegrate after a couple of reloads,they also had RXP's which were excellent compression formed hulls that I loaded with 1 1/2oz of lead over HS7.I keep reading about high brass base hulls for field use but I've always used Win AA's for all of my hunting loads: Win 540,Win Red wad with 1 1/4oz of 4's,5's,6's or 7 1/2's = 1330fps was a former duck or goose load when lead was legal .Now it's been my upland game bird load.