New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Rem STS Nitro Gold hulls...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...be reloaded just like older Win AAs? 12 gauge of course. When visiting family in FL, we usually get in a round or two of clays, and use whatever "gun club" loads are available at Walmart. This time we ended up having to purchase Rem STS Nitro Gold clays loads as that is all Walmart had. I ended up keeping all three hundred as I knew they were reloadable, but may I mix them up with my AA hulls, which came as live ammo when I purchased them in 2006?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might have to make some small adjustments in your press (pre-crimp & crimp) to make the crimps neat enough, but I would try a few with the same settings you are using for the AA's & see what you get - you will be close.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington nitro hulls are just a tad longer than the newer AA/HS hulls. If your machine is set up for the shorter hulls you'll probably get a swirl in the nitro hulls. Not a bad thing as swirls don't leak shot, but holes in the center might. The nitro hulls are great to reload and will load many times over. Good luck, Greg

"These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine winter of 1776

Posts: 115 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I will give them a try once I get to them. By the way, my AA hulls are not the HS type...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with greatnorth on the nitro hulls - they are great to reload. I like them better than the AA's. Any of the 1 piece remingtons (gun clubs, game loads, etc.) are good & all load with the same data & press settings as the Nitro/STS hulls.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Your question as I read it is can they be loaded with the same components. The answer is likely but you do not tell us your load / components so I cannot say for sure. Check the powder companies web site or Lyman's 5th to be sure. There is often .5 g or so of a grain difference between the two hulls but only by a check can you sure.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It took a bit of adjusting to get a crimp that would work for all six at the same time, but now I can mix red AA (old & new), grey AA (old & new), Rem. green and Rem. gold without problems. If you read the data you should be able to find a wad and powder combo that will overlap and be safe in all those hulls.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess that is what I meant, mixing Rem Gold and Win AA on a MEC 9000 with a Red Dot load, Claybuster one ounce wad, and Win 209 primers. I did not even think to look in a loading manual to see if the same component combination could be used in the same "competition" hulls. I recall in the 80s mixing Win AA and Peters Blues with no issue, and that is what I was thinking of here...

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Reb - That's exactly what I do with a load very similar to yours. However, I use Alliant Promo instead of Red Dot. They are all loaded on a MEC Grabber without any adjustments on the press or the components. Check your reloading manual and you will see that the recommended loads for AA's and the Remingtons are very close. If there is any difference, go with the lower recommended powder charges for your hull/wad combination.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use the very same loads in both AA & STS hulls.

Barry

NRA Life Member and I Voted

Posts: 2 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote