Find
Notify
Tools

10 ga black powder load?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted
Does anyone have a good 10ga 3 1/2 case black powder load for CAS? I'm thinking about shooting black next year and using my sawed off 10 double. If you got one with less than a 2 oz load of lead it would be even better.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider using 2-7/8 inch cases; use the recommended blackpowder dram equiv. and use a bit less shot (1&1/4 to 1.5 oz of shot. A bit less recoil and still should get the job done.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at Barnes&Noble other day, reading all the gun mags and ran across an article on just this subject. Now the hard part, "Handloader" or'Shooting Sportsman",I don't remember. I once cut some Federal 10 ga. plastic cases down to 2.5" and loaded them with 3 drams and 1-1/8 oz of #8's. They worked ok but I never patterened any to see how they were shooting.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you really want black powder I would probably use smokeless for black loads. Following proven safe pressure loads, the nitro(smokeless) for black loads (barrels) are much easier to clean after shooting. I have found using black powder loads I needed to throw the plastic cases away after one loading. Not so with smokeless loads- usually.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black is neccessary as a class requirement.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
2 5/8" or 2 7/8" loads will be just fine for CAS.

I use to load BP 10ga hunting loads (2 7/8"). I used fffg (3f) as I got better vel. and loaded 4 1/4 drams under 1 5/8oz shot. For CAS loads, I would only use 1 1/4 oz shot and 3 dr of powder. That will knock down any shotgun target.

Have fun.

Keith

Cards and felt wads will work the best with BP

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Keith!

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hog's got this right. You can measure the 3drams of bp, stick a card wad over the powder, and then adjust the felt or filler wads to enable a good crimp with the 1 1/4 oz shot load. You can also experiment with 10 gauge plastic wads, which you can cut down to facilitate a good crimp. I have been weighing the BP on a scale, slow I know but I haven't found a volume tool I like.

Regards

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
FYI, i never crimped my 10ga Bp loads.

I glued the top card to hold it. A bead of plain old Elmer's glue works just fine. Just leave a 1/8" or so of the case above the top card, and place a filet/bead of glue around the inside. Let it dry a day or two, works fine. The case mouths will last longer. The old brass shells used "waterglass" to hold the top cards. This does the same thing.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The traditional loading for muzzle loading shotguns has for a long time been to use the same VOLUME measure of Shot as used for Powder.

The trick is in cartridges that you have to play games with wad thicknessto achieve the correct crimp of whatever type of crimp you desire.

Once just to see the result I loaded several hundred shells with BP and 1-1/8ox of #7-1/2's with modern wads by cutting out the cushion section of the wad.

It was quite a sight to see four guys running through a round of Trap on BP loads... it made a cloud of smoke like an 18th century naval battleSmiler

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote