New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant Steel Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a deal on some powder and need to know what I can use it for...
Does anyone know if Steel powder is useful for any other types of loads? I've only seen limited load data for this....and only for a few shot types. I'm also curious if anyone has seen any further uses such as pistol or reduced rifle or cast loads....

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
First off Steel powder dosn't go thru a powder measure or press bushing for *^%*^#$&%$*.

I load a lot of Steel shot and Hevi SHot for water fowel and pheasants .( 500 + rnds last season )
I weigh EVERY charge of Steel powder .

I have found a few 28 gau loads using Steel powder , but I haven't tryed them yeat

I have wildcated some cast bullet loads for my 8MM Mauser and 308 .
But again I had to weigh EVERY charge .

It is fluffy and bulky , also it dosn't ignite as easly as Blue Dot or 2400 .

IMO Just find one of us crazy duck or goose hunters that reload and pass the savings along .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnch--

Thanks for the info....that's about all I needed to know!

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan H,

what kind of a deal is there for the Alliant steel and how many pounds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Northern Guns in Anchorage has several 5 lb kegs for $40 each...roughly half off.

Cheers,

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It works well for it's intended purpose, ie; making really fast steel loads. At the very best it is a pain and then some. consistent measuring is a dream, most likely one inspired by a combination of bad drugs, I do use it but if I have more time for hunting this fall it will not be my powder of choice, good price, but hand weighing each and every charge is not a fun way to reload shotgun shells.
Bob

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet side | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote