Find
Notify
Tools

MEC sizemaster collet adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cordite_Blues
posted
I've just fixed my power collet tool on my Sizemaster 77 press, and need some advice on how to adjust it. The handle 'grabs' on the upstroke when a hull is in the sizer (not anytime else). Thanks in advance. C_B

"In a question of right and wrong, never be neutral." Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 29 | Location: Rochester, MI USA | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The "grabbing" you note on the up stroke is most likely related to the lack of lubrication. MEC sells a special gerase some use Never Sieze greases. I have had good success with 80W90 gear oil though you may need to reply a bit more often than a grease.

The nut on the bottom of the unit adjusts the sizing. Size dia is .805" for 12 ga.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The nut on the bottom of the collet has to be good and tight or it can cause hanging. Also as said a lubricant such as graphite grease is recommended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cordite,
Go to MEC Reloaders.com and download and print a manual for it. All of the info you need.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Even when that sucker LOOKS like it was "just greased", it will give you that "hang up". The best is anti-sieze, run the collet up and down a couple of times, and then spray a little CLP on top. Makes the anti-sieze last a LOT longer.

The sizing is a separate issue. You can loosen the lock nut on the bottom, and screw the collet in or out, for more or less sizing. Best thing to do is to measure your gun dimensions, and size no more than a couple of thou smaller than your gun. The more you size, the more wear and tear on your loader and your arm, for no additional benefit. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote