New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just starting out
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had an RCBS single stage 12ga press for some time now and I've decided this will be the year I get the darn thing used. I have a lyman shotshell book and a Ballistic Products Load book.

My original intent was to load specialty loads for waterfowl and turkey. I think I'll try for some basic target loads to get the process down first. Maybe load something similar to promo loads that USED to be cheap.

I have a whole pile of once fired Winchester Super Speed hulls (low brass-silver colored). Is this stuff worth trying to reload? Or should I toss it?

I also have a whole load of Federal 3-1/2 primed shells that have never been run through a press. Is there a special process I should watch out for when getting ready to load?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell book is considered by many to be the bible on shotshell reloading. It has a great "How To" section plus thousands of loads. Read then re-read the How To section, get yourself a reloading scale if you do not have one and follow the recipie as listed. It's not rocket science and using common sense and by follow the direct you'll soon be cranking out good reloads.

I do not recomend the Win Super Speed, Win Super Target or Win Universal hull. The plastic is thin and very poor. You will have difficulty getting good crimps. Even Winchester does not recomend reloading them. Unless that is the only hull available to you I would recomend you toss them. I would rather see you try any of the Rem hulls; STS, Nitro 27, Gun Club, Shur Shot, Sport Load etc as they all use the same data and are very reloadable. The Win AAHS is also reloadable but can be a bit more particular on the press settings but once dialed in load well.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scout Master...I have a habit of saving hulls (thank my grandpa for that). I thought that they were a little weak looking so I'll toss them. I do have approx 100 each of STS and Double A's.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote