New
Find
Notify
Tools

shotguns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry guys, but I couldn't find anywhere else to post this question. While I own a number of rifles and have been reloading for years, I'm in the dark about shotguns. I'm interested in a fine side by side 12 gauge shotgun in the price range of $2000.00-$8000.00. Anyone have any suggestions? Recommendation? Leads? Do I need to be fitted for a shotgun? This gun will be used primarily for pheasants and other upland birds over a well trained dog.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
merkel heym and cz all make a nice sxs if you are a rifle guy you might like an over under instead. browning or beretta

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shotguns depend far more than rifles on the relationship or "fit" between the user and the gun.

I sugggest that, if possible, you go to a shotgun seller who has a lot of different shotguns on hand so that you can handle them all and see what you like and what fits you well.

When you pick up a shotgun and it "speaks" to you, you are likely to have found what you need.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of NV Guide
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider the offerings from Kimber. They are quite impressive.

Dennis

Dennis

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The best advice I can give you is to buy something "standard" that you can sell easily and quickly. I've NEVER seen anyone that was happy with their initial purchase a couple of years after.

Go to a VERY well stocked dealer, and look at as many guns as you can. Buy a standard model of the one that fits you best, and if it's something like a Beretta, all the better. Used is fine.

In a few years, you'll have seen and shot a bunch of guns -- your buddies at the range or at hunts -- and you'll have a much better idea of what blows your skirt up....... Until then, just buy something that is functional and keeps it's value. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:

The best advice I can give you is to buy something "standard" that you can sell easily and quickly. I've NEVER seen anyone that was happy with their initial purchase a couple of years after.

I second Dutch's suggestion. I hadn't thought of that until he mentioned it, but I think he is correct.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I think stock fit is a little more important with a shotgun than a rifle (but I've shot a lot of trap the last few years, so I may just be biased that way). However, there are enough used guns out there, when you look at enough, you'll find one that fits you almost perfectly enough you would think it was originally made for you. That gun will certainly be good enough for hunting. There's a book out there from a guy named Rollin Oswald that will help you fit a gun to yourself, might be worth picking up if you're that interested in it. I don't have the book, but everyone that bought it that I know of has said it was a great help to them, I'm seriously thinking about picking one up for myself, in fact. What the guys are saying about probably not getting "the gun" for you right off the bat is spot on, you'll see something better in the future and have to have it. Same with all other guns, in fact, but that's why most gun stores take trade-ins. Big Grin Just make sure you get a good deal on the 1st one, and you'll be ok, just remember, be a smart buyer. If you want a SxS for even cheaper than you mentioned, look at CZs line, from what I saw they are really nice looking guns and feel great, but I don't have any personal experience in owning one. I have shot them before, they really do handle well. Good luck, and try as many out as you possibly can before you buy, you'll know when you find the right one for you.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote