Find
Notify
Tools

16 Guage Hulls
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
Anyone know where I can get some once fired Federal 16ga hulls? I have a few but 16ga are hard to find around here. Thanks for the help.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 86 Federal once fired 16's. What are they worth? I'm asking 'cause I don't know. Make an offer I guess, maybe you have something you'd like to trade?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't give Fiocchi a try. I have been using them for years. You can get them from www.siarm.com. Hope it helps

Leupoldo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Graf and Sons, Mexico, Mo. Just enter "Graf and Sons" in the internet search window and it wil come up. Graf is one of the best suppliers of shotshell loading supplies anywhere. You are spinning your wheels if you are looking for a large supply of Federal empty hulls. Your best bet if you want Federal or Estate empty hull is to buy the loaded rounds and shoot them. You may get three to four reloads before the hulls split along the crimpfold.

Best of all is to order from Graf and Co. their Cheddite 16 gauge empty shells, either low-brass or high-brass. These hulls will give you from 5 to 8 reloads before they become unusable. Also order from Graf their Gualandi G-28 1-oz wads. They work perfectly in the Cheddite hulls. I have used about 3,000 of these hulls over the past few years and found them to be the best hull available, Federal/Estate next, and Remington/Winchester not worth picking up. I had a large lot of Fiocchi hulls and found them to be roughly equivalent to the Federals. The best 16 gauge hulls ever made in my opinion were the old Winchester X-Pert hulls, now long departed. The old Wincester 16 Gauge "Blue" wad was the best out there but the presently available "Blue" clone has proven to be very poor in my experience with heavy plastic build up. Why Remington doesn't release their 1-ounce wad for reloaders is beyond me. It is white and is a shortened version of the 1 1/8 ounce wad. I bought a bag of the latter about 3 yearrs ago and half of the wads in the bag were the one ounce type. Speaking of the 1 1/8 ounce wad, I convert them to 1 ounce by inserting two 28 gauge fiber OP wads. Takes about half an hour to do a bag of 250 and they load and function perfectly. In my MEC Grabber, I have found that no adjustments are needed when switching between Cheddite, Estate and Federal hulls. I use the same powder load of AA 1250 for all three hulls. I worked up the load from Federal loads listed in the old Accurate Arms manual. It clocks just under 1200 FPS on my Oehler 35 with very mild recoil. I strongly urge you to not use Longshot pwder in the 16 despite the blatherings of Hodgdon's. It is the loudest and dirtiest powder in the 16 I have ever used.

I have 19 16-gauge guns and have been reloading for the 16 since 1968 so I do know a little about the gauge.