New
Find
Notify
Tools

buckshot reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just curious about reloading buckshot shells for coyote hunting. can you reload them in your mec jr or do you have to have something special.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

The mec will work fine

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 00 buckshot only has 9 pellets would you just count them out or can you run them through a certain charge bar

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would probably run them through the press. The reason being that it would be a bit faster.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tap_21:
I was just curious about reloading buckshot shells for coyote hunting. can you reload them in your mec jr or do you have to have something special.

Tap, what gauge and shell length?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 gauge and 2 3/4 length I just feel there is really hardly ever a need to reload in 3 in, unless there is something better in them that I don't know about.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
6 more 00 pellets, that's all.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The buckshot can be loaded in four layers of two inside the
an already seated RXP wad then a normal 8-point fold crimp is applied....

there was a lad like this in the lyman handbook that I loaded a bunch of but I don't remember the particulars offhand...

I do remember it was one of the few loads I used
Dupont 700X propellant for....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years back I loaded 00 buck using the same powder weight & wad for the same weight of shot specified in my Lee tables for #4 lead duck shot. I loaded some AAA (#4 buckshot) and a buddy nailed a nice muley buck no problem. Later I shot a smallish black bear in the chest at under 20 yards and it just ran away. I have wondered ever since if I was correct in using duck shot powder weights and wads for buckshot. Any thoughts?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the 00 buckshot only has 9 pellets would you just count them out or can you run them through a certain charge bar

I would count them AND layer them by hand too. 3 + 3 + 3 so that they stack inside the shell case.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tap 21 Try BP. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/home.asp

They have everything shotgun,Buck ,Slugs, plus reloading manuals for all there stuff.

For buckshot and slugs I use a hull vice and a roll crimper with a clear overshot card.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY hand layer them.

Buckshot will not feed through a charge bar.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize I'm a little late in this post but BPI (ballistic products) has a book out called Buckshot Loading III, It has some great info on loading all kinds of buckshot and seeing as it is a BPI book they push their products hard in it but the load data is still good as is the particulars of stacking the shot etc.

I myself am going to be loading up about 500 rounds of 00 buckshot soon but I'll be roll crimping it and using primed new hulls so no need for a press.

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote